Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

In Memory of Jean-Karim Fall, 1958-2017

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Bad diplomacy, brawls & bromance

Read more

ENCORE!

Cannes 2017: Pitch Perfect's Brittany Snow becomes an urban warrior

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

US President wraps up world tour in Italy (Part 1)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

US President wraps up world tour in Italy (Part 2)

Read more

FOCUS

The battle against illegal fishing in West Africa

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

Trump has already quit the Paris climate deal - just not publicly

Read more

#TECH 24

The Ice Memory Project: A treasure trove for future scientists

Read more

ENCORE!

Cannes 2017: Stars dig deep at AIDS gala dinner

Read more

Europe

Norway police chief resigns over Breivik report

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-07-16

The head of Norway's police stepped down Thursday after the publication of a damning report on the handling of last July's twin attacks by far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik, which left 77 people dead.

REUTERS – Norway’s police chief resigned on Thursday, days after an independent commission found that police could have prevented all or part of a bombing and shooting spree by far-right militant Anders Behring Breivik that killed 77 people.

The bombing of central Oslo and shooting spree at the ruling Labour party’s youth camp shook the tiny nation of 5 million people, raising questions about the prevalence of far-right views in Norway and the efficiency of the security services.

Police Chief Oeystein Maeland, who became the head of the police directorate weeks before Breivik’s attack on July 22, 2011, has been criticized for his failure to face up to police shortcomings in the aftermath of Norway’s worst peacetime violence.

Maeland, a long-time Labour Party politician and the best man at Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg’s wedding, quit after losing the confidence of Justice Minister Grete Faremo and other politicians, he told news agency NTB.

The commission said intelligence services could have learned about Breivik’s plans months before the attack when he purchased bomb-making components, and that police had enough information to stop him as he made his way from the bombing scene to the youth camp.

Pressure has also been mounting on the ruling Labour government since Monday’s report.

Still, the fallout on Stoltenberg appeared limited. Seventy-two percent of voters think he does not need to resign over the report, a poll by public broadcaster NRK showed.

Breivik, whose 10-week trial earlier this year gripped international attention, will be sentenced on August 24.

Prosecutors have asked the five judges to declare him insane while Breivik wants to be ruled sane and his attack considered a political statement rather than an act of lunacy.

Breivik, who killed mostly teenagers, including some as young as 14, said his victims were fair targets because they were “brainwashed cultural Marxists” whose support for Muslim immigration threatened Norwegian ethnic purity.

If ruled insane, he faces indefinite mental care while if ruled sane, he would be sentenced to 21 years in prison with the possibility of indefinite extensions.

Date created : 2012-08-17

  • NORWAY

    Inquiry faults red tape, slow police response in Oslo attacks

    Read more

  • NORWAY

    Norway marks one year anniversary of killings

    Read more

  • NORWAY

    Breivik demands acquittal as trial ends

    Read more

COMMENT(S)