Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE INTERVIEW

Rwandan president claims 'no problem with France'

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Paul Kagame visits UNESCO HQ in Paris

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Flamboyant US Congressman's Instagram Lands Him in Bother

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Compromise buys Greece time and Jihadi John is unmasked (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Compromise buys Greece time and Jihadi John is unmasked (part 1)

Read more

#TECH 24

Drone vs. drone

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

The future of agriculture

Read more

REVISITED

Yalta, the symbol of a new Cold War?

Read more

#THE 51%

Women in the workforce: IMF says closing the gender gap makes economic sense

Read more

Sports

Match-fixing ban upheld for Juventus coach

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-08-22

The Italian Football Federation has confirmed a 10-month ban for Juventus coach Antonio Conte after he failed to report suspicions of match-fixing during his time at former club Siena. Conte is expected to appeal the verdict.

AFP - Italy's football federation upheld a 10-month ban for Juventus coach Antonio Conte on Wednesday for failing to report suspicions of match-fixing at a previous club, Italian media reported.
              
The Serie A club trainer is one of the most high-profile figures caught up in a sweeping investigation that has shaken the Italian football world.
              
He was found guilty of not informing the authorities of possible corruption in two matches involving his former club Siena during the 2010-11 season.
              
Conte has one more chance to appeal against the ban, which comes just as the new football season is set to get under way this weekend. Juventus, the defending Serie A champions, open with a home game against Parma on Sunday.
              
The so-called "calcioscommesse" illegal betting scandal -- which concerns mainly second division clubs -- has led to a wave of arrests across Italy and even saw searches at the Italian national squad's hotel before Euro 2012.
              
Juventus and Italy captain Gianluigi Buffon earlier this month said that Conte "fears nothing" and added: "I believe the desire to fight is in his DNA."
              
The football federation panel on Wednesday also confirmed that Juventus players Leonardo Bonucci and Simone Pepe were cleared of wrong-doing.
              
The football federation's disciplinary tribunal has been investigating 13 football clubs in total in a scandal over match fixing and illegal betting.
              
The investigation comes six years after a similar scandal deprived Juventus of two titles.

Date created : 2012-08-22

  • FOOTBALL

    Juventus clinch title as Inter win Milan derby

    Read more

COMMENT(S)