Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE DEBATE

Europe’s Blame Game: finger pointing continues as Calais migrant crisis worsens (part 2)

Read more

THE DEBATE

Europe’s Blame Game: finger pointing continues as Calais migrant crisis worsens (part 1)

Read more

PEOPLE & PROFIT

Gold prices: no longer a safe haven?

Read more

FOCUS

Secular bloggers live in fear after spate of killings

Read more

ENCORE!

The art of resistance, from Gaza to Lebanon via Timbuktu

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Close down Calais until the French get a grip'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Europe's new 'Iron Curtain'

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

US gun laws criticised after fresh shootings

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Half of global internet users are on Facebook

Read more

Middle east

Dozens killed in Sinai crackdown, Egyptian army says

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-09-08

Egypt’s army killed 32 people and arrested 38 more on Saturday in the latest phase of Operation Sinai, an ongoing attempt launched in early August to rout Islamists from the Sinai peninsula.

AFP - Egypt's armed forces have killed 32 "criminal elements" in an ongoing operation against Islamists in the lawless Sinai peninsula, a military spokesman said on Saturday.

Colonel Ahmed Mohammed Ali told reporters that 38 people including "non-Egyptians" had been arrested during "Operation Sinai," which was launched on August 7, days after gunmen killed 16 soldiers at a border post there.

"The operation will continue until its goals have been achieved... These are not just military goals but also developmental goals for the Sinai," Ali said.

The statements were likely to unnerve Israel, which had expressed "reservations" over Egypt's deployment of reinforcements in the peninsula, with which it shares a border.

But Ali insisted that "the deployment of the armed forces, on all the territory of Sinai, is not a violation of the peace treaty between Egypt and Israel."

"Our presence (in Sinai) is in the frame of coordination," with the Israelis, Ali said.

Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak said last week he expected the Egyptian army to withdraw its reinforcements from the peninsula at the end of the operation.
 

Date created : 2012-09-08

  • EGYPT

    Egyptian troops kill gunmen in raid on Sinai village

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    Peacekeepers in Sinai deny attack by gunmen

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    Egypt arrests suspected militants in Sinai

    Read more

COMMENT(S)