Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE DEBATE

Macron on migration: Humanism or closed-border policy?

Read more

FOCUS

Strict controls behind Denmark's generous unemployment benefits

Read more

ENCORE!

Remembering Cranberries star Dolores O'Riordan

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Irony? Lebanon bans Steven Spielberg's film about censorship

Read more

THE DEBATE

Tunisia's revolutionary fire: Fresh protests, seven years after Arab Spring

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Case dismissed against French troops accused of child rape in Central African Republic

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Spain set to overtake US in tourism rankings

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

#MeToo and mixed messages

Read more

FOCUS

Stolen medication sold on black market in Mexico

Read more

France

Police probe ex-PM Villepin over fraud allegations

Latest update : 2012-09-16

Former French prime minister Dominique de Villepin (pictured) was questioned by Paris police on Tuesday as part of an investigation into an alleged embezzlement scheme at a luxury hotel chain previously run by one of his close friends.

Former French prime minister Dominque de Villepin was brought in for questioning Tuesday by police investigating luxury hotel chain Relais et Châteaux, whose former CEO is accused of involvement in an embezzlement scheme.

Régis Bulot, who headed the company between 1987 and 2005, was taken into custody last November after prosecutors accused him of organised fraud and money laundering. The 64-year-old is suspected of having embezzled some 1.6 million euros between 2002 and 2008. He was released from prison in June this year after seven months in custody.

According to investigators, Villepin made a phone call in 2011 on behalf of Bulot concerning a civil law suit. The politician, who served as prime minister under Jacques Chirac and is known as a bitter rival of former president Nicolas Sarkozy, is described by the French press as a “close friend” of Bulot.

Bulot, who has acknowledged the embezzlement scheme but denies having orchestrated it, claims that Villepin benefited in no way from the alleged fraud. Villepin, who holidayed with his wife at a Relâis and Chateaux resort in Martinique in the summer of 2005, has denied all knowledge of the scheme.

According to a source who spoke to the AFP news agency, Villepin’s interrogation was a pre-arranged formality.

Villepin issued a brief statement on Tuesday afternoon, saying that he had told the investigators that "I am in no way implicated in this sad affair that is affecting one of my friends".

Prosecutor Brice Raymondeau-Castanet told AFP it was "probable" that a judge leading the probe would want to question Villepin at a later date.

France 24 with wires

Date created : 2012-09-11

  • FRANCE

    Former PM de Villepin bows out of presidential race

    Read more

  • FRANCE - JUSTICE

    Paris court upholds Villepin acquittal in Clearstream case

    Read more

COMMENT(S)