Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE INTERVIEW

Colombia peace deal will be ‘lasting’, FARC rebel leader tells FRANCE 24

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Ghanaian President Mahama concedes defeat to opposition leader Afuko-Addo

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Trump's TV Career Continues

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

President Park Impeached, Ghana's High Stakes Election (part 1)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Aleppo Offensive, Renzi Resigns, Trump's Cards (part 2)

Read more

ENCORE!

South Korea: An inside look at the K-pop wave

Read more

#THE 51%

Diving back in: Offering support for French mothers returning to work

Read more

REPORTERS

Chaotic post-hurricane relief efforts in Haiti

Read more

PEOPLE & PROFIT

Cash crunch casualties: India's wedding industry suffers from currency changes

Read more

Asia-pacific

Taliban attack Afghan base where Prince Harry is posted

© AFP

Latest update : 2012-09-16

The Taliban claimed responsibility Saturday for killing two US Marines in an attack on an Afghan military post where Britain's Prince Harry is based, saying they were avenging an "offensive" US film that has sparked protests across the Muslim world.

Afghanistan’s Taliban claimed responsibility on Saturday for an attack on a base which U.S. officials said killed two American Marines, saying it was in response to a film that insults the Prophet Mohammad.

Camp Bastion, in southern Helmand province, came under mortar, rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire late on Friday.

The assault also wounded several servicemen.

“The aim of this attack was revenge against Americans for the anti-Prophet movie,” said Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf.

U.S. President Barack Obama has vowed to “stand fast” against violence which has been spreading since the amateurish film of obscure origin triggered an attack on the U.S. consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi that killed the ambassador and three other Americans on Sept. 11.

Britain’s Prince Harry was at Camp Bastion at the time of the attack, but was unharmed.

Earlier this week, the Afghan Taliban said they were doing everything in their power to either kill or kidnap Queen Elizabeth’s grandson in what they dubbed their “Harry Operations.”

“Prince Harry was never in any danger,” Martyn Crighton, a spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), said, adding that it would investigate whether his presence on the base had motivated the attack.

ISAF has not confirmed the nationality of the two people killed in the attack on the base.

A spokesman for the Helmand governor said 17 bodies had been discovered and they were all thought to be insurgents killed in the fighting.

REUTERS

 

Date created : 2012-09-15

  • MUSLIM WORLD

    Anti-US protests spread throughout the Muslim world

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Suicide bomber targets NATO headquarters in Kabul

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Double suicide attack strikes US-run military base

    Read more

COMMENT(S)