Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

WEB NEWS

Web users show solidarity with Iraqi Christians

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Gilles Kepel, Islamic and Arab world specialist

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Argentina braced for another debt default

Read more

DEBATE

Too Late for Sanctions? Pressure Mounts on Russia over Ukraine (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Too Late for Sanctions? Pressure Mounts on Russia over Ukraine

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

'What would you do?'

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola virus: Liberia shuts most border points

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Netanyahu says Gaza operation will not end quickly

Read more

FOCUS

As France’s Carrefour pulls out, what next for India’s retail market?

Read more

  • France extradites suspected Jewish Museum shooter to Belgium

    Read more

  • Video: How tourism is helping Rwanda’s gorillas, ex-poachers

    Read more

  • Calls mount to ban France’s ‘violent’ Jewish Defence League

    Read more

  • France evacuates its nationals from Libya

    Read more

  • Israeli strikes target symbols of Hamas power

    Read more

  • US says Russia violated arms treaty by testing cruise missile

    Read more

  • Argentina in last-ditch effort to avert default

    Read more

  • Karzai’s cousin killed in Afghan suicide attack

    Read more

  • Libya oil tanker fire blazes out of control

    Read more

  • In pictures: From Gaza to Mosul, bittersweet end of Ramadan for Muslims

    Read more

  • France offers asylum to Iraqi Christians

    Read more

  • Moroccan police arrest French al Qaeda recruiter

    Read more

  • Israel warns of ‘prolonged’ campaign in Gaza

    Read more

  • French mayor files complaint against US father who risked kids’ lives on Mont Blanc

    Read more

  • French footballer Griezmann headed to Atletico Madrid

    Read more

  • Luc Besson’s sci-fi thriller ‘Lucy’ tops US box office

    Read more

Americas

Actress loses suit to ban anti-Islam film trailer

Latest update : 2012-09-21

A US judge on Thursday rejected a request by an actress who features in an anti-Islam amateur video to ban YouTube from showing the video's trailer. Cindy Lee Garcia said producers told her the video was about ancient Egyptians.

A US judge rejected Thursday a request by an actress in the anti-Islamic video that set off violent Muslim protests to ban YouTube from showing the trailer, after claiming that she was duped.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Louis Lavin refused the request by lawyers for actress Cindy Lee Garcia for a restraining order to prevent the online video-sharing service from continuing to show the low-budget movie trailer.

Garcia is one of three actresses in the film to have come forward with similar accusations since the explosion of violence that ripped through Muslim countries in the Middle East, Africa and Asia last week.

She sued YouTube and its owner Google for releasing excerpts of the amateurish film, "Innocence of Muslims," which was later dubbed into Arabic and made to show the Prophet Mohammed as a thuggish womanizer.

Her lawsuit, filed Wednesday, alleges that the the movie's director, identified by the pseudonym Sam Bacile, presented it as an adventure film about ancient Egyptians, called "Desert Warrior."

The English version of the 14-minute trailer, which has already been withdrawn from YouTube in a number of countries, includes blatantly overdubbed parts of dialogue.

Garcia has suffered severe emotional distress, financial setbacks and the "destruction of her career and reputation," the lawsuit says.

The actress's lawyer Cris Armenta said she was duped by the producer and now her life is in danger. "Clearly she was defrauded, clearly she was lied to," he said.

Speaking before the hearing, Garcia said she hoped the court would take immediate action to ban YouTube from hosting the video trailer, arguing that its continued availability puts her at risk of attack.

"I think, yes, we have a right to free speech, but what they did was wrong," she said, calling the movie "degrading and demoralizing."

After the court ruling she told reporters: "I'm not giving up."

YouTube last week restricted access to the film in Egypt and Libya after unrest in those countries, and has been adding countries to the list. Some others including Pakistan and Sudan, have blocked access themselves.

On Wednesday it extended its restrictions on the video to "countries where it is considered illegal by local authorities; that is, to date, India, Indonesia, Malaysia and Saudi Arabia."

The US actress also filed a lawsuit against the reported producer of the film, Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, on grounds of invasion of privacy, fraud, slander and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

The 55-year-old Egyptian Copt and convicted fraudster -- out on parole -- lives in Los Angeles and has admitted to working on the film.

US media say Nakoula wrote and produced the film, using the pseudonym Sam Bacile before being identified. He was questioned overnight Friday by police before going into hiding with his family.

In an interview conducted before it became clear that Sam Bacile was a pseudonym, he claimed he was an American-Israeli and had raised $5 million to make it from about 100 Jewish donors, who he declined to identify.

He said he had worked with some 60 actors and 45 crew to make the two-hour movie in a three-month period last year in California.

"The movie is a political movie. It's not a religious movie," he told the Wall Street Journal, adding: "Islam is a cancer."

(AFP)

Date created : 2012-09-20

  • RELIGION

    Punishing blasphemers: New calls on an old issue

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    French paper risks Muslim anger with prophet cartoons

    Read more

COMMENT(S)