Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

WEB NEWS

'Ice Bucket Challenge' angers anti-abortion activists

Read more

#TECH 24

Tomorrow's Transport Today

Read more

FOCUS

Mothers and children leaving Honduras at all costs

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

US journalist Peter Theo Curtis freed in Syria

Read more

ENCORE!

An art wonderland: A burnt-out piano, a bed in a box and a giant magic mushroom

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Historian Jean Garrigues: 'For the first time, Hollande knows what he is doing'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

'Macron-economy' pun already worn out

Read more

DEBATE

What Next for Gaza? Lasting Ceasefire Agreed After 50 Days of War

Read more

DEBATE

What Next for Gaza? Lasting Ceasefire Agreed After 50 Days of War (part 2)

Read more

  • UN says 43 peacekeepers captured in Golan Heights

    Read more

  • In pictures: Billions of locusts invade Madagascan capital

    Read more

  • Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie say ‘I do’ in France

    Read more

  • Russian troops have entered Ukraine, says Kiev

    Read more

  • Assad cannot be partner in fight against terrorism, says Hollande

    Read more

  • New Ebola case in Nigeria brings death toll to 1,552

    Read more

  • Video: 'Neither Baghdad nor the US can defeat the Islamic State'

    Read more

  • Platini will not run against Blatter for FIFA presidency

    Read more

  • Air France pilots announce week-long strike in September

    Read more

  • Erdogan's inauguration paves way for constitutional change

    Read more

  • New French economy minister takes swipe at 35-hour work week

    Read more

  • Air France suspends flights to Ebola-stricken Sierra Leone

    Read more

  • Uzi shooting by 9-year-old rekindles gun debate

    Read more

  • Mother of American journalist asks IS leader for his release

    Read more

  • UN probe accuses Syrian regime, Islamists of ‘crimes against humanity’

    Read more

  • Uruguayans sign up to grow marijuana at home

    Read more

  • Missouri governor appoints black public safety director

    Read more

  • French unemployment rises 0.8% in July to record high

    Read more

  • Video: Iraq’s Yazidis flee to spiritual capital of Lalish

    Read more

Europe

BBC chief defends response to Savile abuse claims

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-10-24

BBC Director General George Entwistle (pictured) on Tuesday defended the broadcaster's response to claims that late TV star Jimmy Savile sexually abused minors but told lawmakers that the BBC regretted dropping a probe into the allegations.

The head of the BBC defended on Tuesday the broadcaster's response to allegations of sex abuse by late TV star Jimmy Savile before British lawmakers, but admitted its reputation had taken a hit.

Director General George Entwistle said the world's biggest public broadcaster regretted dropping a television probe into allegations of widespread abuse of underage girls by Savile.

But Entwistle, who only took over the position this summer, denied that pressure from BBC top brass had forced flagship current affairs television show "Newsnight" to shelve its investigation late last year.

"There is no question in my mind this is a very grave matter indeed," Entwistle told parliament's Culture, Media and Sport Committee.

"One cannot look back on it with anything other than horror."

Savile, a DJ who rose to become one of the biggest and most distinctive personalities of BBC television from the 1960s until the 1980s, died last October aged 84.

Two weeks ago the BBC's commercial rival ITV aired allegations by several women about the entertainer, who was known for his shiny tracksuits, gold jewellery and ever-present cigar.

Newsnight editor Peter Rippon announced Monday that he was "stepping aside" while the BBC carries out an inquiry into why the Savile item was axed.

Entwistle, himself under pressure because he decided to proceed with tribute shows about Savile over Christmas, told lawmakers on Tuesday that the "Newsnight" investigation should not have been dropped.

He admitted that the BBC's head of news, Helen Boaden, had told him about the Newsnight investigation in December last year: he did not pursue it because he did not want to be seen as wielding editorial influence, he said.

Committee chairman John Whittingdale accused Entwistle of showing an "extraordinary lack of curiosity" by not asking exactly what claims the Newsnight team were investigating.

But Entwistle said Rippon had decided to cancel the investigation "on his own account".

"I've been able to find no evidence... that any kind of managerial pressure was applied," he told lawmakers.

The director general said he had asked Rippon to step aside because of inaccuracies in a blog post the Newsnight editor had written this month explaining his decision to shelve the Savile investigation.

'Questions of trust'

Entwistle conceded that the affair would "raise questions of trust" in the BBC. But he defended the BBC's reaction to the scandal, insisting the organisation was working closely with the police and that its own twin internal probes would thoroughly investigate what happened.

He also said the BBC should be "incredibly proud" of its decision to air a special episode of its main investigative television show "Panorama" dealing with the Savile scandal on Monday night.

The show included an interview with a lawyer for some of Savile's alleged victims, who said there was evidence of a paedophile ring operating within the BBC during the star's heyday in the 1960s and 1970s.

The BBC is investigating up to 10 "serious allegations" involving past and present employees, he added.

He insisted the BBC has much stronger procedures in place for dealing with sexual harassment and child protection than it did in the 1960s.

Entwistle emerged from the hearing into a scrum of journalists -- including a BBC reporter who asked if he would be resigning.

Prime Minister David Cameron expressed concern Monday over the BBC's handling of sex abuse claims against Savile, accusing the BBC of "changing its story."

Entwistle, 50, himself a former "Newsnight" editor, has been the BBC's director general only since July.

Some lawmakers are calling for his predecessor Mark Thompson, who is due to start as chief executive of The New York Times in November, to face a similar grilling in parliament.

Thompson has indicated in a letter to one British lawmaker that he would "very happy to attend," the Guardian newspaper reported.

In a brief comment Monday, he said he had not been involved in the decision about the "Newsnight" programme.

British police have launched a separate criminal investigation into the alleged abuse by Savile.

Scotland Yard says it believes there may have been as many as 200 victims, and that it is investigating suspects linked to Savile who are still alive.

(AFP)

 

Date created : 2012-10-24

  • UNITED KINGDOM

    BBC staff begin 48-hour strike over changes to pension plan

    Read more

  • MEDIA

    BBC apologises for 'unfair' report on aid money being used for rebel arms

    Read more

  • MEDIA

    BBC to refocus budget with online snips and radio trims

    Read more

COMMENT(S)