Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

At least 3 dead in grenade attack in Bujumbura

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Inequality, sexism and the movie industry

Read more

ENCORE!

Sienna Miller on motherhood, her new movies and Cannes glamour

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

After the Fall of Ramadi, Palmyra: Did the West Underestimate the Jihadists?

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Migrants and Immigrants: A Global Crisis

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Behind the scenes of French gastronomy

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Protests continue in Burundi as calls mount for election delay

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Burundi: Nkurunziza delays parliamentary polls as clashes continue

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

At least two killed in fresh protests in Bujumbura

Read more

Asia-pacific

Two US troops killed in Afghan 'insider' attack

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-10-25

Two US soldiers were shot and killed by a man wearing an Afghan police uniform Thursday in Uruzgan province, the latest insider attack targeting foreign forces. More than 50 NATO soldiers have been killed in similar attacks this year.

Two American soldiers were killed by a man in an Afghan police uniform on Thursday, the US military said, the latest in a series of insider attacks that have seriously undermined trust between the allies.

The Afghan conflict has seen an alarming surge in insider attacks this year, with more than 50 soldiers from NATO's US-led International Assistance Force (ISAF) killed by their colleagues in the Afghan army and police.

The unprecedented number of so-called "green-on-blue" killings comes at a critical moment in the 11-year war, as NATO forces try to hand security responsibility to the Afghans before the withdrawal of foreign combat forces by the end of 2014.

Thursday's attack happened in the central province of Uruzgan.

"Two US Forces-Afghanistan service members died after an individual wearing an Afghan National Police uniform turned his weapon against them in Khas Uruzgan, Uruzgan," the US military in Afghanistan said.

It is believed to be the first such attack since September 30, when a firefight between NATO troops and their Afghan allies killed five people, including one US soldier and a civilian contractor.

Most insider attacks are blamed on cultural differences and personal grievances between soldiers working closely together against Taliban insurgents, but NATO attributes some 25 percent of the incidents to Taliban infiltrators.

The attacks have created deep distrust between the allies, and have rocked NATO'S plan to train Afghan forces to take over the fight against the Taliban when foreign troops leave.

NATO top brass have taken the issue very seriously, with ISAF commander General John Allen saying that just as homemade bombs were the signature weapon of the Iraq war, "the signature attack that we're beginning to see is going to be the insider attack".

US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta told a meeting of NATO defence ministers in Brussels earlier this month that countering the attacks was vital to success in Afghanistan.

Efforts to tackle the phenomenon include orders that NATO soldiers working with Afghan forces should be armed and ready to fire at all times, even within their tightly protected bases, and the issuing of cultural guidelines.

The guidelines, drawn up by the Afghan defence ministry, urge their soldiers not to take offence if NATO colleagues exit the shower naked, swear or ask to see pictures of their wives.

The 28-page brochure tells Afghan soldiers these things are normal behaviour and no reason to open fire.

(AFP)

 

Date created : 2012-10-25

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Afghan ‘insider’ attack marks 2,000 US troop deaths

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    NATO axes Afghan joint patrols after ‘insider’ attacks

    Read more

COMMENT(S)