Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

IN THE PAPERS

'Why should the U.S. fight for the Iraqis?'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

"Inequality takes hold"

Read more

DEBATE

Will Ireland Say "I Do"? Gay Marriage Referendum Challenges Catholic Values (part 1)

Read more

DEBATE

Will Ireland Say "I Do"? Gay Marriage Referendum Challenges Catholic Values (part 2)

Read more

FOCUS

Mother of French terror victim seeks to open minds

Read more

ENCORE!

Aishwarya Rai: An interview with the Queen of Bollywood

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Ireland on the eve of gay marriage vote

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Tensions continue to rise in Bujumbura

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Protests continue in Burundi as calls mount for election delay

Read more

Africa

Tunisia to grant US access to Benghazi attack suspect

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-11-03

Tunisia will allow US investigators access to a suspect in the September attack on the American consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi, US senators said Friday. Ali Ani al Harzi was arrested in Turkey in October and deported to his native Tunisia.

The Tunisian government will allow the United States access to a suspect in the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, two senators said Friday.

Republicans Lindsey Graham and Saxby Chambliss said they have been pushing the Tunisian government for access to Ali Ani al Harzi.

Earlier this week, in a letter to Tunisia’s government, Graham wrote that “providing access to this suspect is of the highest importance to me and many other members of Congress.” He said, the Tunisian response was “of the utmost importance and could have profound impacts on the relations between our two countries moving forward.”

Chambliss last week met with the FBI to emphasize the need for direct access to this suspect and any other individuals related to the Benghazi attacks that killed U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and three other Americans on Sept. 11.

The senators said U.S. investigators would interview the suspect under Tunisian supervision. The Tunisian government has confirmed it arrested the 28-year-old Tunisian and that he was in custody in Tunis.

“Allowing American investigators in person access will make the interview more meaningful and is a welcome breakthrough in our efforts to find the perpetrators of the Benghazi Consulate attacks,” the senators said in a statement.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland would not comment on the development.

“I’m not going to be speaking about any aspect of the requirements to bring to justice those who were responsible for the Benghazi attack,” she said. “I’m not going to speak about our conversations with other governments. I’m not going to speak about what we’re learning, or who we may be pursuing along with the Libyans.”

Deputy Secretary of State William Burns met Thursday with Hedi Ben Abbes, a senior Tunisian foreign ministry official, but there were no details on the meeting.

Graham is the ranking Republican on the Senate Appropriations subcommittee that oversees American assistance to Tunisia and Chambliss is the vice-chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.

The FBI would not comment on any plans to interview al Harzi.

(AP)

Date created : 2012-11-03

  • USA - LIBYA

    CIA played key role in response to Benghazi attack

    Read more

  • TUNISIA

    Tunisian terror suspect denies link to Benghazi attack

    Read more

  • USA

    Benghazi consulate security ‘weak’ before attack

    Read more

COMMENT(S)