Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

BUSINESS DAILY

US Treasury lashes out at EU tax probes

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

British professor says 'no shame' in reading romance novels

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Libération:'STOP hunting for burkinis!'

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Closing arguments presented in the ICC trial of the Malian Jihadist who destroyed shrines

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Burkini: the never-ending controversy

Read more

THE DEBATE

Biden in Turkey: NATO allies at odds over Syria Kurds, exiled cleric (part 1)

Read more

THE DEBATE

Biden in Turkey: NATO allies at odds over Syria Kurds, exiled cleric (part 2)

Read more

FOCUS

Video: The European dream of Abidjan street footballers

Read more

ENCORE!

Film show: Star Trek Beyond, Toni Erdmann, Staying Vertical

Read more

Asia-pacific

Suicide bombers attack major US Afghan base

© AFP

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-12-02

At least five people were killed on Sunday when Taliban suicide attackers targeted a major US base in Jalalabad, Afghanistan, highlighting the country’s security challenges ahead of the 2014 NATO troop pullout.

Suicide attackers detonated bombs and fired rockets outside a major U.S. base in Afghanistan on Sunday, killing five people in a brazen operation that highlighted the country's security challenges ahead of the 2014 NATO combat troop pullout.

Local police officials said bodies in Afghan police and military uniforms were scattered around the entrance of the airfield in the eastern city of Jalalabad after a two-hour battle. A Taliban spokesman said the militant group had launched the 6 a.m. assault.

The Taliban, who have been fighting U.S.-led NATO and Afghan forces for more than a decade, sometimes dress in uniforms for attacks.

Two suicide bombers died after blowing themselves up in cars, said Nasir Ahmad Safi, a spokesman for the provincial government.

Seven other bombers were killed in the a gunbattle with Afghan and coalition forces. Three Afghan soldiers and two civilians also died, said Safi.

U.S. helicopters circled overhead.

There were multiple suicide bombers involved," said Major Martyn Crighton, a spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).

Several coalition troops were wounded, he said.

The United States and Afghan government are scrambling to stabilise Afghanistan before most NATO combat troops withdraw at the end of 2014 and hand over security to Afghan forces.

Some Afghans doubt government security forces will be able to defend the country against any Taliban attempts to seize power again after foreign troops withdraw. There are also growing fears that a civil war will erupt.

President Hamid Karzai's government say Afghan security forces have made good progress.

Afghanistan's defence ministry spokesman said there were rocket attacks at the Jalalabad base followed by suicide bombings.

In a text message, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said : "This morning at 6 a.m. a number of our devotees attacked the major U.S. Base in Jalalabad city and so far have brought heavy casualties to the enemy."

In February, a suicide car bomber killed nine people at the base, almost exclusively used by NATO and the U.S. military.

(REUTERS)

Date created : 2012-12-02

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Pakistan releases Taliban to encourage peace process

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Suicide bomb kills dozens at Afghan mosque

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Two US troops killed in Afghan 'insider' attack

    Read more

COMMENT(S)