Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Madagascar political crisis: top court orders formation of unity government

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Ireland's abortion referendum

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Weinstein in court; Ireland abortion vote; Italy's populist takeover

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

Sugar and spice: The flavours of the French Caribbean

Read more

FRENCH CONNECTIONS

The French are so rude! Or are they?

Read more

REVISITED

Video: After key battle, Syrian town of Kobane looks to the future

Read more

ENCORE!

The writing's on the wall: Revolutionary posters from May 68

Read more

REPORTERS

'We heard there might be a civil war': May 68 seen from abroad

Read more

#THE 51%

U.S. mid-terms: Record number of women running and winning primaries

Read more

Sports

Legendary jockey Dettori gets six month ban for doping

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2012-12-05

Italian jockey Frankie Dettori, a legend in horse racing, has been banned from riding worldwide for six months after testing positive for doping at Longchamp, French racing authority France Galop said on Wednesday.

Legendary jockey Frankie Dettori was suspended from riding worldwide for six months by French racing's governing body France Galop on Wednesday for failing a doping test.

The 41-year-old Italian-born England based rider - probably racing's most high profile personality - tested positive for a non-performance enhancing banned substance at the September 16 Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe trials at Longchamp.

The ban runs from December 19 to May 19, which crucially will allow Dettori to ride in the Epsom Derby on June 1, as France Galop took into account his having agreed not to ride at all once his medical certificate had been withdrawn by the Medical Commission on November 20.

"Because Frankie Dettori said that he would not ride anywhere in the world from November 20 that has been taken into account," a France Galop spokesman told AFP.

"Thus the immediate ban is five months but it is six in counting the time since he voluntarily stepped down from riding on November 20."

Dettori, though, must return to France and undergo more medical tests before he is cleared to ride again after what France Galop termed in their decision was a 'serious infraction of the doping rules'.

"He must return to France and undergo biological tests on April 20. If they are clear then he is free to resume riding on May 19," the spokesman said.

France Galop said that they had demanded from their fellow global racing authorities to impose the ban as well.

Dettori's lawyer Christopher Stewart-Moore, who represented the jockey at both the Medical Commission and then the disciplinary hearing in Paris on Tuesday, issued a statement to the Press Association that Dettori was contrite and felt he had let the sport down.

"France Galop have today announced their finding that Frankie Dettori has committed a breach of their rules relating to prohibited substances," said Stewart-Moore.

"I have spoken to Frankie since the announcement was made and he has told me he fully accepts France Galop's decision.

"He also accepts that he has let down the sport he loves and all those associated with it, as well as the wider public.

"But most of all, and this is his greatest regret, he has let down his wife and children."

Although there has been much specualtion as to the substance that he tested positive for it is unlikely, unless Dettori ever reveals, it it will ever be known as France Galop policy is never to divulge such details.

(AFP)

Date created : 2012-12-05

  • SPORT

    Italian jockey Frankie Dettori fails drugs test in France

    Read more

COMMENT(S)