Latest update: 07/12/2012
Will Morsi bend? (part 2)
Nearly two years after the fall of Hosni Mubarak, Egypt is suddenly polarized in a whole new way. President Morsi caught everyone by surprise on November 22nd when he decreed for himself broad sweeping powers. Then, last week, the Islamist-led constituent assembly rushed through a draft constitution. Protests have erupted across the country. François Picard and his panel discuss why the tension is so high and how the situation could be resolved.
- Hanna YOUSSEF, Egypt Researcher;
- Shahinaz Abdel SALAM, Activist and Author of "Egypt, the Beginnings of Freedom";
- Mohamed SALEM, Journalist, France 24;
- Abdulmawgoud R. DARDERY, Member of Parliament, Freedom and Justice Party (from Luxor, Egypt);
- Robert SPRINGBOR, Professor, Department of National Security Affairs, Naval Postgraduate School.