Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

No strategy and a beige suit

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014

Read more

ENCORE!

Alain Choquette: A Hilarious Magician in Paris

Read more

FOCUS

France welcomes Iraqi Christian refugees

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Emmanuel Macron: A new economy minister with a pro-business agenda

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

More of this year's best Observers stories

Read more

#TECH 24

Changing the world, one video game at a time

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Socialist Party summer conference kicks off in explosive atmosphere

Read more

  • Exclusive: Fabius warns of further sanctions against Russia

    Read more

  • British killer escapes from French psychiatric hospital

    Read more

  • First case of Ebola confirmed in Senegal

    Read more

  • Police hunt for British boy with brain tumour taken to France

    Read more

  • Chelsea’s Torres set for AC Milan switch

    Read more

  • Ukraine to relaunch NATO membership bid

    Read more

  • France shines in IMF list of world’s promising economists

    Read more

  • Mapping Ukraine: Canada and Russia in ‘tweet for tat’ row

    Read more

  • Obama has 'no strategy yet' on potential Syria strikes

    Read more

  • Netflix to woo French with ‘House of Cards’ set in Marseille

    Read more

  • French businesses ‘hoping for a new Thatcher’

    Read more

  • Syrian refugees surpass 3 million, UN says

    Read more

  • West backs Ukrainian claims of Russian incursion

    Read more

  • Libyan PM resigns as Islamists set up rival administration

    Read more

  • UN says 43 peacekeepers captured in Golan Heights

    Read more

  • The deleted tweets of Manuel Valls

    Read more

  • Peru seizes record 6.5 tonnes of Europe-bound cocaine

    Read more

  • Pakistan army to mediate between PM, protesters

    Read more

  • In pictures: Billions of locusts invade Madagascan capital

    Read more

  • Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie say ‘I do’ in France

    Read more

Africa

Defiant Morsi refuses to back down on referendum

Video by FRANCE 24

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2012-12-07

Egypt’s President Mohammed Morsi refused on Thursday to curb his sweeping powers or to call off the constitutional referendum that has triggered the country’s worst political crisis since the 2011 revolution.

Egypt’s President Mohammed Morsi called for a national dialogue to solve the current political crisis during a live televised address to the nation Thursday. His comments follow overnight clashes between his supporters and opposition protesters outside the presidential palace in Cairo, which claimed the lives of at least six people and left hundreds more wounded.

Obama expresses concern over Egypt deaths to Morsi

US President Barack Obama expressed "deep concern" Thursday over the events in Egypt, in a call to his counterpart Morsi, the White House said.

Obama also told Morsi that it was "essential for Egyptian leaders across the political spectrum to put aside their differences and come together to agree on a path that will move Egypt forward," the White House said in a statement.

Source: AFP

In his speech, Morsi appealed to the country to work together to solve the political crisis sweeping Egypt, and invited the opposition to sit down for talks on Saturday. Extending his condolences to the families of those killed during the previous night’s clashes, the Egyptian president also said plans for a December 15 referendum on a new draft constitution - the text of which lies at the heart of growing tensions in the country - would go forward.

Earlier in the day, tanks took up positions around the presidential palace while the Egyptian army set up barricades of barbed wire, ordering protesters to leave. Efforts to secure the area came after the army’s Republican Guard gave demonstrators a 3pm (13:00 GMT) deadline to clear out.

The army first deployed tanks and armoured personnel carriers to the area Thursday morning after pitched battles erupted Wednesday outside the Heliopolis presidential palace. The fighting had continued into Thursday morning in what were the first civilian clashes between the rival camps since last year’s ousting of former leader Hosni Mubarak.

The unrest had also spread to other cities overnight, including Ismailia, east of Cairo, where protesters stormed and set alight the headquarters of Morsi’s Freedom and Justice Party, the political wing of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Deep divisions

The latest violence has underscored deep divisions in the world’s most populous Arab nation less than 10 days before the country is due to head to the polls for a referendum on a new constitution that the opposition considers deeply flawed.

Leaders of both camps have blamed the other side for the latest clashes that have pitted Egypt’s Islamists – including Brotherhood supporters and Salafists – against a largely liberal secular opposition.

The clashes in Cairo erupted Wednesday after the vice-president, Mahmoud Mekki, spoke to the press to say that there would be no backing down by Morsi. Shortly afterwards, the president’s supporters descended on the area around the palace where opponents were staging a sit-in.

Morsi 'responsible for the violence'

As clashes raged for hours, with rocks and petrol bombs flying between the two sides and the occasional sounds of gunshots, leading opposition activists held a press conference Wednesday evening.

In his remarks to the press, Mohamed ElBaradei, a former diplomat and now a leading opposition advocate of reform, said Morsi was “completely responsible for the violence that is happening in Egypt today”.

The duelling demonstrations are part of a political crisis that came to the forefront after Morsi issued a series of decrees on November 22 granting himself unprecedented powers that placed him beyond the reach of the judiciary.

In a bid to quell public anger, Morsi stressed that the new presidential decrees would only hold until a new constitution was approved. But the political crisis worsened after Morsi pushed through the approval of a draft constitution that was drawn up by an Islamist-led constituent assembly.

Despite widespread protests, the Egyptian president has refused to back down on the December 15 referendum.

The opposition National Salvation Front, which ElBaradei is part of, is demanding Morsi rescind the controversial presidential decrees and scrap the draft constitution which they say curtails freedom and leans the country towards Islamism.

Within the Islamist camp, there have been signs of divisions, with three members of Morsi’s advisory team resigning Wednesday over the crisis, according to presidential sources. Seif Abdel Fattah, Ayman al-Sayyad and Amr al-Leithy have tendered their resignations, bringing to six the number of presidential staff who have quit in the row over the decree.

(FRANCE 24 with wires)

Date created : 2012-12-06

  • EGYPT

    Egypt army clears protesters from presidential palace

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    Anti-Morsi protesters surround presidential palace

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    Egyptian newspapers strike over draft constitution

    Read more

COMMENT(S)