Two French soldiers have been killed in the Central African Republic, the French presidency has announced. French and African Union troops are taking part in a UN-backed military operation aimed at halting inter-religious violence in the country.
Latest update: 15/01/2013
- al Qaeda - François Hollande - French military - Mali - Tuareg - war
France at War
A matter of "several weeks", or is France now in it for the long haul in Mali? François Picard’s panel looks at the events that prompted France to deploy to Mali ahead of West African peacekeepers.
- Pierre CONESA, Former French Defence Ministry official;
- Gregory MANN. Associate professor of history, Columbia University;
- Michael KIRTLEY. Journalist, National Geographic & Africa. International, Independent filmmaker;
- François NDENGWE. Founder, African Advisory Board;
- Imad MESDOUA. Political Analyst, Pasco Risk Management (from London);
- Kassim KONE. Associate Professor of Anthropology, University of Suny Cortland (from New York);
- Tunde FATUNDE. Journalist, The Guardian (from Lagos, Nigeria).
- Matthieu MABIN. France 24 Senior Correspondent (from Mali).
Produced by Anelise Borges, François Picard, Marie-France Manrique, Mary Colombel.