Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

A thin line between fact-checking and propaganda in Gaza social media coverage

Read more

DEBATE

Gaza: How to Stop the Spiral? Israel Readies For Ground Offensive (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Gaza: How to Stop the Spiral? Israel Readies For Ground Offensive

Read more

FOCUS

Ireland's missing babies casting light on a dark history...

Read more

WEB NEWS

World Cup 2014: Germany-Brazil inspires the Web

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Boutros-Ghali: 'I wanted to reform the UN'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

57 000 little problems

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

The Sarkozy 'threat'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Budget challenge for India's new government

Read more

  • Hamas rockets reaching deeper into Israel

    Read more

  • French companies will have to accept anonymous CVs

    Read more

  • Ukrainian forces close in on Donetsk

    Read more

  • Germany asks US intelligence station chief to leave country

    Read more

  • Death toll rises in Gaza as militants target Israeli cities

    Read more

  • UN chief Ban Ki-moon appoints new Syria mediator

    Read more

  • Video: Muslims in China confront obstacles to Ramadan fasting

    Read more

  • Tour de France passes WWI Chemin des Dames battlefield

    Read more

  • Senegalese man awarded French visa in gay marriage debate

    Read more

  • Israel steps up airstrikes as diplomacy gets under way

    Read more

  • Argentina beat Netherlands on penalties to reach World Cup final

    Read more

  • Foiled French jihadist ‘targeted Louvre and Eiffel Tower’

    Read more

  • Obama in Texas to urge congressional action on child migrant crisis

    Read more

  • Iraq’s heritage 'in danger' from ISIS militants

    Read more

  • 100 years on, the Tour de France returns to the Western Front

    Read more

Americas

Santos warns FARC against violence as ceasefire ends

©

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-01-20

Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has warned the country’s FARC rebels against resuming guerrilla operations, as a two-month old ceasefire expired Sunday.

Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has warned the country's leftist rebels against resuming violent guerrilla operations, saying the army and police were ready to respond to their attacks.

The warning came as a unilateral ceasefire announced by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) in November to facilitate peace talks with the government was set to expire on Sunday.

"We have to tell the Colombian people that we are ready for this," Santos declared Saturday, speaking in the town of Padilla, in the southeast of the country.

"Terrorist acts are cowardly acts because they don't fight against soldiers or members of the police force," he continued. "They inflict damage on civil society."

The president said Colombian security forces had already detected what he described as "some attempts to perpetrate acts of terrorism."

And he urged the FARC to refrain from new operations, saying "they know perfectly well what they need to do after Sunday."

On Friday, the police announced they had foiled a plot by the FARC to bomb police and military facilities in the capital Bogota after the end of the truce.

Officials said a raid in the town of La Palma, some 150 kilometers (90 miles) from Bogota, had uncovered 250 kilograms of explosives, a detonating cord and six grenades, National Police Director Jose Leon said.

Police also found blueprints of two police academies and an army-training facility in Bogota they believe were the intended targets.

Leon said the FARC was behind these preparations.

"According to intelligence reports, they have been strengthening their capabilities during this truce they declared," he said.

The FARC has said it is willing to extend the truce past Sunday if the Colombian government enters into a mutual ceasefire accord, but Bogota has until now refused, fearing the rebels will use the calm to prepare for more fighting.

President Santos said last Monday that the guerrilla group had only partially fulfilled its ceasefire pledge.

According to the military, it has registered at least 52 violations of the truce by the rebels over the past two months. At the same time, New Rainbow Corporation, a Colombian think tank dedicated to studying the guerrilla conflict, reported at least nine battles initiated by the rebels since the beginning of the truce.

Both government and private specialist noted, however, a significant decrease in the overall levels of violence compared to the same period a year ago.

The negotiations between government and FARC officials resumed in Havana earlier this month after a three-week holiday break with both sides vowing to quicken the pace of the talks in hopes of ending Latin America's last remaining armed conflict.

The head of the Marxist guerrilla group's delegation, Ivan Marquez, has called on the government to "cease the warmongering rhetoric that accompanies false promises to resolve social problems."

The government, meanwhile, has continued to target the rebels, accusing the guerrillas of continuing to attack civilians and soldiers.

The FARC took up arms in 1964 to protest the concentration of land ownership in the country, but a string of military defeats in recent years has cut its ranks to 8,000 -- half of what it was in the late 1990s.

The conflict has left 600,000 dead and displaced four million since 1964.
 

(AFP)

Date created : 2013-01-20

  • COLOMBIA

    FARC declares ceasefire ahead of Havana peace talks

    Read more

  • COLOMBIA

    FARC and Colombia launch peace talks in Norway

    Read more

  • COLOMBIA

    Colombians eye peace talks with hope and scepticism

    Read more

Comments

COMMENT(S)