Latest update: 11/03/2013
- Cuba - Fidel Castro - Hugo Chavez - Socialism - USA - Venezuela
Hugo Chavez Dies: Saviour or tyrant?
Hugo Chavez would proudly say that his job was to kick sand into the eyes of Uncle Sam. He was determined to curb American influence in the region, cosying up to Cuba's Fidel Castro while encouraging fellow Latin American countries to turn their backs on Washington. At home, he enjoyed broad support among his nation's poor. Annette Young and her guests discuss the legacy of the polarising figure that was President Hugo Chavez.
- Natalia BRANDLER, PhD in Political Science from the University of Connecticut, Latin America Specialist
- Sarai SUAREZ, Venezuelan Journalist
- Francisco DOMINGUEZ, Director of the Center of Latin American Studies, Middlesex University
- Mark WEISBROT, Co-director of the Centre for Economic and Policy Research
Programme prepared and produced by Diaraye Bah, Anelise Borges and Mary Colombel