Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

ACROSS AFRICA

African nations need to prepare for potential return of thousands of jihadists

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

DR Congo former child soldiers awarded $10 mn in damages in landmark ruling

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Website roots out "Rotten Apples"

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Putin's press conference, Alabama election, One Planet Summit, Brexit Phase II, Disney & Fox

Read more

#TECH 24

WorldRemit: Helping migrant workers send money back home

Read more

FOCUS

The challenges awaiting the new leader of South Africa's ANC

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Bangladeshi PM calls violence in Myanmar 'unacceptable'

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

Was 2017 the worst year for the environment?

Read more

ENCORE!

Rhiannon Giddens strikes out on her 'Freedom Highway'

Read more

Middle east

Food aid suspended after Gazans storm UN depot

© AFP

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-04-05

The UN suspended the distribution of food aid to 25,000 Palestinians in the Gaza Strip on Friday after demonstrators stormed a UN depot a day earlier. The protesters were angry that cash allowances to poor families had been halted due to budget cuts.

The United Nations said it has suspended food distribution to about 25,000 Palestinian refugees in the Gaza Strip, after demonstrators angry at aid cuts stormed a UN depot.

Dozens of Gazans forced their way into the field office of the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) on Thursday, demanding reinstatement of a monthly cash allowance to poor families which was halted from April 1 due to UNRWA budget cuts.

The protesters were removed by UN security when they tried to break into a building, staff told AFP.

"We fully understand the impact the decision to suspend cash assistance had on some of our beneficiaries," the agency said in a statement.

"Demonstrations during the past week had already forced UNRWA to close many of its facilities," it added.

"With the situation further compounded by today's actions, all relief and distribution centres will consequently remain closed until guarantees are given by all relevant groups that UNRWA operations can continue unhindered.

"This is a very regrettable situation for us to be in, as food distributions right now are taking place for some 25,000 refugees every day. But we cannot tolerate these ongoing threats to our staff," UNRWA said.

Abu Hussam, a 50-year-old jobless man at Thursday's demonstration, was unrepentant.

"We shall continue our protests," he told AFP.

(AFP)

 

Date created : 2013-04-05

  • GAZA STRIP

    Israel launches air raids after rockets fired from Gaza

    Read more

  • HURRIYET DAILY NEWS

    Turkey reveals secret diplomacy behind flotilla apology

    Read more

COMMENT(S)