At least three people were killed and more than 100 injured after two explosions went off at the finish line of the world-famous Boston Marathon on Monday afternoon, creating scenes of chaos.
- Two explosions went off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon at around 3pm EDT (7pm GMT).
- Death toll from explosions at Boston Marathon rose from two to three, Boston Police Department says. Police also reported more than 100 people injured, some of them critically.
- There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack. The FBI has announced that it will take over the lead of investigation into the bombings.
- One of the victims killed in the explosions was an 8-year-old boy, US media reported.
- A third explosive found on the race course was defused by police.
- Security heightened in cities across the US and abroad.
- Bombings classified as “act of terror,” according to a White House official.
- US President Barack Obama vowed, "We will find out who did this and we will hold them accountable," in televised statement.
Date created : 2013-04-15