Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

REPORTERS

Libya in search of unity

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Burundi's presidential election: our team follow incumbent Nkurunziza's campaign trail

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Vote "No" for dignity and democracy ≠OXI

Read more

THE DEBATE

Turkey's Border Bother: Ankara wary of emboldened Kurds (part 2)

Read more

THE DEBATE

Turkey's Border Bother: Ankara wary of emboldened Kurds (part 1)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Tunisia Attack: UK ponders airstrike in Syria; Uber Popped: service suspended after French taxi revolt

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Greece's Choice: Europe holds its breath over Sunday's referendum

Read more

#TECH 24

Testing robots to play, snuggle and learn

Read more

#THE 51%

Jordan: Where a rapist can marry his victim

Read more

Americas

Confusion amid reports of a Boston bombing arrest

© AFP

Video by Nathan KING

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2013-04-17

The US authorities have denied reports in two major news outlets that a suspect in Monday’s bomb attack on the Boston marathon was taken into custody on Wednesday.

Washington on Wednesday denied reports from two US media outlets that a suspect in Monday’s Boston Marathon bombing had been arrested.

Earlier, both CNN and the Associated Press (AP) quoted unnamed federal law enforcement officials saying an arrest had been made.

Following the US government’s denial that anyone had been taken into custody, AP released a report saying that investigators had the image of a potential suspect but still did not know his name.

Law enforcement agencies had pleaded for the public to come forward with photos, videos or any information that might help them solve the twin bombings that killed three and wounded more than 170 on Monday.

The dead include a child, a young woman and a female student from China.

Public appeal

The bombs involved kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and other lethal shrapnel. The FBI said nobody had claimed responsibility.

According to US media reports, the bombs consisted of explosives put in six-litre pressure cookers, one with shards of metal and ball bearings, the other with nails.

An intelligence bulletin issued to law enforcement includes a picture of a mangled pressure cooker and a torn black bag that the FBI said were part of a bomb that exploded during the marathon.

Scores of victims remained in hospitals, many with grievous injuries. A 5-year-old child, a 9-year-old girl and 10-year-old boy were among 17 victims listed in critical condition.

The blasts killed 8-year-old Martin Richard and 29-year-old Krystle Campbell. The Shenyang Evening News, a state-run Chinese newspaper, identified the third victim as Lu Lingzi. She was a graduate student at Boston University.

(FRANCE 24 with wires)


Date created : 2013-04-17

COMMENT(S)