The FBI said on Wednesday that it was seeking information on three people it believes were present during the September 11, 2012 attack on a US diplomatic mission in Libya’s eastern city of Benghazi, as it released images of the men online.
US authorities on Wednesday released pictures of three men it said were present during the September 11, 2012 attack on the US mission in eastern Libya, saying it wanted to question them.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation's website did not say whether the three men – all of whom appear to be carrying guns in the pictures – are suspects in the attack that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.
"The FBI is now asking Libyans and people around the world for additional information related to the attacks," the federal law enforcement agency said.
"We are seeking information about three individuals who were on the grounds of the US Special Mission when it was attacked. These individuals may be able to provide information to help in the investigation," it said.
US President Barack Obama has faced withering criticism over the attack from Republicans, who accuse the administration of failing to do enough to protect diplomatic missions and of covering up the true nature of the attack.
US consulate attacked in Benghazi
- Trial of Gaddafi regime officials to resume April 27
- Libya PM quits after ‘armed attack’
- World oil prices down on Libyan ports agreement
- Tunisian diplomat kidnapped in Libya
- US navy hands over seized oil tanker to Libya
- 'How the West Encouraged Putin's Aggression'
- Nigeria's interior minister refuses to quit over fatal stadium stampede
- US Navy seizes rogue Libya oil tanker, Pentagon says
- Ousted Libyan PM Zeidan says no-confidence vote was 'falsified'
- Pretoria's warning to Kigali
- Can Libya Keep It Together? (part 2)
- Can Libya Keep It Together?
- South Sudanese treason trial begins
- Libyan PM ousted after losing confidence vote
- Libyan troops seize North Korea-flagged oil tanker
- Libya threatens to bomb N.Korea oil ship trading with rebels
- Niger turns one of Gaddafi's sons over to Libyan justice
- Gunmen kill French engineer in Libya
- Gay Ugandans face life in prison after homophobic bill is signed into law
Senior administration officials initially described the attack as a spontaneous reaction to an anti-Islam Internet video that had sparked violent demonstrations in Cairo and elsewhere.
Officials later admitted that there had been no protest outside the consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi, and US media have reported that a nearby annex – which was also attacked – was part of a secret CIA mission.
US President Barack Obama has referred to the assault as a "terrorist" attack and vowed to hunt down those responsible.
Date created : 2013-05-02