Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Senegalese photographer's flashbacks to Africans throughout history

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Hollande photographed with Julie Gayet on Elysée Palace balcony

Read more

REVISITED

Is Beirut still haunted by ghosts of the civil war?

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Band Aid 30 - Hit or Miss? Bob Geldof in Hot Water over Ebola Single

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Deal or No Deal with Iran? Home Stretch to Reach Historic Agreement

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Football scandals: The ugly side of the beautiful game

Read more

#THE 51%

Ending violence against women: The dangers of trial by Twitter

Read more

#TECH 24

Tech giants under scrutiny: The problem with Uber

Read more

FOCUS

Inside an Iranian nuclear research reactor

Read more

Americas

Boston bombing suspects planned July 4 attack

© AFP

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2013-05-30

Boston police on Wednesday charged two people with conspiring to obstruct justice and another with making false statements to the authorities as part of the investigation into the deadly bomb attack at the Boston Marathon on April 15.

The surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his brother originally planned to stage an attack during Independence Day celebrations on July 4, according to a law enforcement official quoted by US media.

But the Tsarnaev brothers, who were of Chechen descent, put together their homemade explosives more quickly than expected, the official said, and therefore decided to target the Boston Marathon.

A look at the brothers suspected in the Boston bombing

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his brother Tamerlan, who died in a shootout with police, allegedly went on to kill three people and injure 260 others after placing two pressure-cooker bombs near the finish line at the race on April 15, or Patriots’ Day, as it is known in Massachusetts.

Nineteen-year-old Dzhokhar, who was seriously wounded in a massive manhunt, now lies in a prison hospital, where he faces charges of using a weapon of mass destruction to kill. If convicted, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev could face the death penalty in federal court.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s remains claimed by family

The new details in the case emerged after Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s body was claimed on Thursday from the medical examiner’s office in Boston, where it has been held for the last several days. Department of Public Safety spokesperson Terrel Harris said that the 26-year-old’s remains had been picked up by a funeral home retained by the Tsarnaev family.

The family was allowed to claim the body after Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s widow, Katherine Russell, learned that the medical examiner was ready to release it earlier this week. According to Russell’s lawyer, Amato DeLuca, the young woman specified that she wanted her late-husband’s remains to go to his relatives.

The Tsarnaev brothers’ uncle, Ruslan Tsarni, who lives in Maryland, confirmed on Tuesday that the family planned to claim the body. ``We'll do it. We will do it. A family is a family,'' he said.

After the hearse believed to be carrying Tsarnaev’s body left Boston, television stations reported that their helicopters followed it to the Dyer Lake Funeral Home, where about 20 protesters had gathered.

Dyer Lake Funeral Director Tim Nye told The Sun-Chronicle newspaper late Thursday that the body was only brought to his funeral home temporarily before being transported to another facility.

(FRANCE 24 with wires)

Date created : 2013-05-03

  • USA

    Police charge three in Boston bombing case

    Read more

  • USA

    Boston suspects planned second attack in New York

    Read more

  • USA

    Boston bomber ‘was in CIA terrorist database’

    Read more

COMMENT(S)