Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

ENCORE!

Nobody From Nowhere, Asterix and Obelix and In The Family.

Read more

FACE-OFF

François Hollande's private life faces global scrutiny

Read more

FOCUS

One year on, what has Maidan changed in Ukraine?

Read more

WEB NEWS

Web users react to Ferguson grand jury decision

Read more

WEB NEWS

USA: Online reactions to the death of Tamir Rice

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Israel: Business is booming in gun shops

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Monica Macovei, Former Romanian justice minister

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Inconsistency was the only constant with evidence in Michael Brown's case'

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Nigeria: Two female bombers kill at least 30 in Maiduguri

Read more

Europe

Several killed as Genoa ship hits control tower

© AFP

Video by FRANCE 24

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-05-08

At least seven people were killed and four injured when a container ship smashed into a 50 metre-high control tower in the northern Italian port city of Genoa late on Tuesday night. Two people were also reported missing after the accident.

Seven people were killed and two were missing after a container ship crashed into a concrete control tower in the northern Italian port of Genoa, rescuers said on Wednesday.

The tower, which was 50 metres (160 feet) high and looked much like those at airports, collapsed into the sea late on Tuesday after being struck by the vessel, the Jolly Nero.

Among the dead were three of its officers, a coastguard statement said. Divers were searching for two missing people at the site and cranes were sifting through debris along the shore.

The other victims have yet to be identified. Two were recovered on Wednesday from the wreckage of the tower’s lift, an fire department spokesman said.

The accident happened as staff were changing shifts and there were 13 people in the tower when it was struck, the coastguard said.

As well as the dead and missing, officials said four other people were injured and had been taken to hospital. Two were seriously hurt and a third had lost a foot, investigators said.

“The main injuries are fractures, crushed body parts, significant traumas,” emergency services doctor Andrea Furgani said.

The crash occurred shortly after 11 p.m. (2100 GMT) in calm conditions as the Jolly Nero was manoeuvring out of the port.

Jolly Nero captain under investigation over crash

Prosecutors have placed the captain of the Jolly Nero, Walter Cotugno, under investigation for possible manslaughter and have sequestered the ship.

The ship was following protocol by navigating towards the control tower and should have then turned into the open sea to its next port of call, Naples, but it instead hit the shore.

(FRANCE 24 with wires)

Genoa prosecutor Michele Di Lecce has opened an investigation and is focusing on a possible malfunction of the ship’s engine, judicial sources said.

In testimony to parliament after visiting the port, Transport Minister Maurizio Lupi also said an engine problem could be behind the incident, which took place in “perfect” weather conditions.

Other causes could have been a human error or problems with tow cables fixed to two tug boats that were accompanying the ship out of the harbour, Lupi said.

The crash is the most serious maritime accident in Italy since the Costa Concordia liner struck a rock and capsized off the island of Giglio in January 2012, killing 32 people.

“There’s no logical explanation because two tug boats were moving the ship and there was a port pilot on board and sea conditions were optimal,” the head of the Genoa Port Authority, Luigi Merlo, said.

All that was left of the tower was a leaning metal stairway.

The Jolly Nero, which is 238 metres (781 feet) long with a gross tonnage of 40,594 tonnes, is owned by local operator Ignazio Messina and Co.

“A thing like this has never happened, we are devastated,” said Stefano Messina, one of the directors of the family-owned firm, who was in tears when he spoke to a local TV channel.

(REUTERS)

Date created : 2013-05-08

  • ITALY

    Survivors mark first anniversary of Concordia shipwreck

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    French Concordia survivors get €2m payout

    Read more

  • Italy

    Ship crippled by fire arrives in the Seychelles

    Read more

COMMENT(S)