Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

DEBATE

SPECIAL: US and Cuba Normalise Relations

Read more

ENCORE!

Forget Harry Potter, Jeff Kinney's 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' sells millions

Read more

FOCUS

Child migrants: no parents, no passports

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Thousands flee Libya and Nigeria to seek refuge in Niger

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Sony Pictures reels from cyber-attack

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

"Todos somos Americanos"

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Cuba-USA: 'A roll of the dice'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

The 'Caribbean Wall' is starting to crumble

Read more

WEB NEWS

Sydney siege: Australians show solidarity with Muslims

Read more

Europe

Turkey detains nine over deadly bombings

© AFP

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-05-12

Turkish authorities detained nine people in connection with a twin car bomb that killed at least 46 people in the town of Reyhanli near the Syrian border on Saturday. Syria has rejected allegations that it was behind the attack.

Authorities detained nine Turkish citizens believed to have links to the Syrian intelligence agency in connection with two car bombs that left 46 people dead in a Turkish border town, officials said Sunday, as Syria rejected allegations the country was behind the attack.

The bombings marked the biggest incident of cross-border violence since the start of Syria’s bloody civil war and have raised fear of Turkey being pulled deeper into the conflict. Harsh accusations from both sides signaled a sharp escalation of already high tensions between the two former allies.

FRANCE 24's correspondent Jasper Mortimer on Syria being the suspect behind the bombing

“This incident was carried out by an organization which is in close contact to pro-regime groups in Syria and I say this very clearly, with the Syrian mukhabarat,” said Interior Minister Muammer Guler.

Among the nine people detained overnight was the mastermind of the attack and more were expected, Guler said.

“We have determined that some of them were involved in the planning, in the exploration and in the hiding of the vehicles,” he said.

Saturday’s twin bombings fifteen minutes apart in the Turkish town of Reyhanli, a hub for Syrian refugees and rebels close to Syria, also wounded dozens of people, including 50 who remained hospitalized Sunday.

Guler said authorities had so far identified 35 people who died in the attack and three of them were Syrians.

Turkish authorities determined that the nine were involved through their “testimonies and confessions,” according to Deputy Prime Minister Besir Atalay. He did not elaborate.

Map of Turkey locating Reyhanli, near the Syria border
© France 24

Earlier Sunday in Damascus, Syrian Information Minister Omran al-Zoubi rejected Turkey’s charges that Syrian President Bashar Assad’s regime was behind the bombs.

“Syria didn’t and will never undertake such acts because our values don’t allow us to do this,” al-Zoubi told a news conference.

He accused Turkey of destabilizing the border areas between the two countries.

“The Turkish government had turned the border areas into centers of international terrorism, as it is still facilitating the arrival of arms and explosives, improvised explosive devices, cars, money and murderers to Syria,” he said.

Turkey has firmly sided with the Syrian opposition since the uprising against Assad’s regime erupted in March 2011, hosting its leaders along with rebel commanders and providing refuge to hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees.

(AP)

Date created : 2013-05-12

  • TURKEY-SYRIA

    Turkey blames Syria for deadly car bombings

    Read more

  • TURKEY

    Scores killed in Turkey-Syria border town blast

    Read more

  • HURRIYET DAILY NEWS

    Turkey arrests 10 on suspicion of arming Syria rebels

    Read more

COMMENT(S)