Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Nigeria mosque blast: Scores die in attack during prayers in Kano

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Sarko Bites Back: Ex-President Determined to Reclaim UMP Leadership

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

No Deal: Iran Nuclear Talks End Without Agreement

Read more

FASHION

"Cloakroom Vestiaire Obligatoire" a tender and hypnotic performance by Tilda Swinton and Olivier Saillard.

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Learning the language of love

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Burkina Faso: Calls for probe into 1998 murder of journalist

Read more

FOCUS

Is this the end of Hong Kong's 'Umbrella Movement'?

Read more

#THE 51%

France marks 40th anniversary of abortion laws

Read more

#TECH 24

Virtual insanity? Artist to 'experience life' through Oculus Rift headset for 28 days

Read more

Africa

Niger attackers came from Libya, president says

© FRANCE 24 screen grab

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2013-05-27

Niger's President Mahamadou Issoufou told FRANCE 24 on Saturday that the suicide bombers behind deadly attacks last week on an army base and a French uranium mine came from Libya and warned that future attacks were planned for Chad.

Niger President Mahamadou Issoufou told FRANCE 24 on Saturday that the suicide bombers behind twin attacks on a military base and a French-operated uranium mine in the country came from southern Libya.

The coordinated bombings, which occurred at dawn on Thursday, claimed the lives of at least 20 people at the base in Niger’s desert city of Agadez and Areva’s Somair mine in the remote town of Arlit, a key supplier of uranium for France’s nuclear power programme.

“The assailants, according to all the information that we’ve acquired, came from southern Libya,” Issoufou told FRANCE 24. “The fact is that Libya remains a destabilising force for the Saharan countries.”

Issoufou's comments came after his government announced that French special forces and Nigerien troops had fatally shot the last two Islamists involved in the bombings early on Friday at the military barracks in Agadez, where they had holed up.

The attacks have been claimed by Mokhtar Belmokhtar, a one-eyed veteran of al Qaeda's North African operations, who issued a statement saying that his Mulathameen Brigade organised the raids with the help of the Movement for Oneness and Jihad in West Africa (MUJAO) in retaliation for Niger's role in a French-led war on Islamists in Mali.

Niger has emerged as a firm ally of France and the United States in the fight against al Qaeda-linked groups in the Sahel. It has deployed 650 troops in neighbouring Mali and sought to shut its porous desert borders to Islamist groups that are thought to have shifted their bases to southern Libya.

Belmokhtar, signing his statement with his pseudonym Khalid Abu al-Abbas, said the raids were a response to Issoufou’s public claims that the Islamists had been defeated in Mali.

“We will have more operations by the strength and power of Allah and not only that, but we will move the battle to inside [Issoufou's] country if he doesn’t withdraw his mercenary army,” said the communiqué, the authenticity of which could not be verified.

Belmokhtar’s brigade has also claimed responsibility for January’s attack on the In Amenas gas plant in southeastern Algeria in which 37 foreigners were killed.

(FRANCE 24 with wires)

Date created : 2013-05-25

  • NIGER

    ‘Niger’s attacks may be a collaborative jihadist effort’

    Read more

  • NIGER

    Islamist groups claim twin attacks on Niger targets

    Read more

  • NIGER

    Hostages taken in attack on Niger army barracks

    Read more

COMMENT(S)