Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

DEBATE

If Scotland Says 'Aye': Polls Say Independence Referendum Too Close to Call (part 2)

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Scottish referendum in the media

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Homosexuality in Africa: Kenyan movie debuts at Toronto Film Festival

Read more

DEBATE

If Scotland Says 'Aye': Polls Say Indpendence Referendum Too Close to Call

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola virus: US to send 3,000 troops to West Africa

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Inger Andersen, Vice President for the Middle East and North Africa, The World Bank

Read more

FOCUS

Scottish referendum: Should I stay or should I go?

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Paris conference: A coalition against the Islamic State group

Read more

ENCORE!

Encore's Film Show: Spies, doppelgangers and gay rights activists

Read more

Europe

Suspects in soldier's murder to appear in London court

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2013-06-03

The two men accused of hacking to death British soldier Lee Rigby in London last month will appear in separate courts on Monday. Michael Adebolajo, 28, and Michael Adebowale, 22, both face murder charges.

The two Muslim converts suspected of brutally hacking to death a soldier on a London street will appear at separate courts in the British capital on Monday.

Michael Adebolajo, 28, will appear at Westminster Magistrates Court for his first court hearing after he was charged on Saturday with the murder of 25-year-old soldier Lee Rigby.

He has also been charged with the attempted murder of two police officers and possession of a firearm.

The other suspect, 22-year-old Michael Adebowale, is due to appear at the Old Bailey in central London for a bail hearing ahead of a pre-trial hearing on June 28.

He faces charges of murder and possessing a firearm.

Adebowale appeared at Westminster Magistrates Court on Thursday, speaking only to confirm his identity and current address, after he was discharged from hospital on Tuesday.

The two Muslim converts of Nigerian descent were shot by police at the scene of the killing near Rigby's barracks in Woolwich, southeast London, on May 22.

Counter-terrorism officers charged Adebolajo after a day of questioning following his release from hospital on Friday.

The pair were filmed and photographed at the murder scene by witnesses, but legal restrictions prohibit the reporting of further details of the attack.

An inquest into Rigby's death heard that he was run over by a car before being attacked by two men armed with a cleaver and a knife, on a quiet suburban street in the middle of the afternoon.

Ten other people have been arrested in connection with the case, including two women who have been released without charge.

(AFP)

Date created : 2013-06-03

  • UK

    Second man charged over murder of soldier in London

    Read more

  • UK

    London attacker in court on murder charges

    Read more

  • UK

    MI5 ‘tried to recruit’ London murder suspect

    Read more

COMMENT(S)