The United States has offered $23 million in reward money for help in capturing militant leaders in West Africa, including senior members of al Qaeda's regional branch AQIM and the leader of Nigeria-based terror group Boko Haram (pictured).
In an unprecedented move, the United States on Monday posted up to $23 million in rewards to help track down five leaders of militant groups accused of spreading terror in west Africa.
The highest reward of $7 million is offered for the Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau, who last week called on Islamists in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq to join the bloody fight to create an Islamic state in Nigeria.
The US State Department's Rewards for Justice program also targeted Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), offering its first ever bounties for wanted militants in west Africa.
Up to $5 million was posted for Al-Qaeda veteran Mokhtar Belmokhtar, the one-eyed Islamist behind the devastating attack on an Algerian gas plant in January in which 37 foreigners, including three Americans, were killed.
A further $5 million was offered for top AQIM leader Yahya Abou Al-Hammam, reportedly involved in the 2010 murder of an elderly French hostage in Niger.
Malik Abou Abdelkarim, a senior fighter with AQIM, and Oumar Ould Hamaha, the spokesman for Mali's Movement for Oneness and Jihad in West Africa (MUJAO), were also targeted with the program promising up to $3 million each for information leading to their arrests.
"AQIM has been increasingly active in north and west Africa. They're one of the pre-eminent kidnap for ransom groups in the terrorist world right now," a senior State Department official told AFP, asking not to be named.
"They cause us a great deal of concern. Anything that we can do naturally to cut down on the capabilities of AQIM, anything that we can do to get information on these people so that we can get them in front of a court... That is our goal."
Links between MUJAO and Mokhtar Belmokhtar
The United States has been increasingly worried about the spread of Islamist groups in Mali and across the vast and lawless Sahel since a military coup ousted the government in Bamako.
There are fears however that the spread of militant groups risks destabilizing the entire west African region.
Belmokhtar, who was a senior commander for AQIM, broke away from the group last year to set up his own group dubbed the "Signatories in Blood."
Branded "the Uncatchable," Belmokhtar also personally supervised the operational plans for the twin car bombings in Niger that killed at least 20 people late last month, according to a spokesman for his group.
Monday's rewards, which will see a campaign of wanted posters launched in Mali, Nigeria and neighboring countries, acknowledged the growing links between AQIM and Boko Haram, which is under pressure from a Nigerian army offensive.
"They've had a relationship for some time. They send people back and forth for training, they've done the provision of arms back and forth," the State Department official said.
"The links are... not quite as solid as some of the other terrorist organizations," he said. "Nonetheless, it's a dangerous link, and it's something that we feel we should try and stop."
Shekau, in a video obtained by AFP last week, contradicted the military's assertions and claimed his forces had made significant gains against the army while sustaining little damage since the start of the offensive on May 15.
"Under his leadership, Boko Haram's capability has certainly grown," the State Department official told AFP.
He highlighted how the group set off "their first improvised explosive device in early June 2011. By August (2011) they used a car bomb against the United Nations facility," an attack which killed 25 people.
The State Department on Monday also updated its travel warning to US citizens planning on visiting Nigeria, warning in particular of the threat of kidnappings.
Shekau's whereabouts could not be determined in the video, in which he is shown seated and dressed in camouflage and a turban, with an AK-47 at his side.
But the State Department remains confident that Shekau, and the other four wanted men, remain in the region and are asking for tip-offs leading to their capture. More information is posted on the website www.rewardsforjustice.net.
Shekau was placed on a US blacklist last year, but Boko Haram has yet to be designated a foreign terrorist organization -- an absence which has raised eyebrows among regional experts.
Date created : 2013-06-04