Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

"Why Are So Many Children Dying in Gaza?"

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Central African Republic: Seleka calls for partition

Read more

DEBATE

Nigeria: One Hundred Days and Counting (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Nigeria: One Hundred Days and Counting

Read more

FOCUS

Can Chancellor Merkel's winning streak last?

Read more

FOCUS

Hunger in a fertile land...

Read more

ENCORE!

High-tech acting king Andy Serkis on Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Read more

REPORTERS

Hong Kong in rebellion against the 'motherland'

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Dalia Grybauskaite, President of the Republic of Lithuania

Read more

  • In pictures: Thousands march for Gaza peace in Paris

    Read more

  • UN human rights chief blasts Israel-Gaza ‘war crimes’

    Read more

  • Bomb attacks leave scores dead in north Nigeria

    Read more

  • Gaza protests: ‘France imported the Mideast conflict a long time ago’

    Read more

  • Poland’s Rafal Majka wins 17th stage of Tour de France

    Read more

  • Remains of Flight MH17 victims arrive in the Netherlands

    Read more

  • Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down over rebel-held territory

    Read more

  • TransAsia Airways Taiwan crash leaves dozens dead

    Read more

  • Video: Fear, death and mourning in Gaza’s Khan Younis

    Read more

  • Young riders raise French hopes for Tour de France

    Read more

  • Defying UK, France to proceed with warships sale to Russia

    Read more

  • US courts issue conflicting reports on Obamacare

    Read more

  • Video: Lebanon fears fallout from regional turmoil

    Read more

  • Widodo wins Indonesian presidential election

    Read more

Africa

Libyan army chief resigns over deadly Benghazi clashes

© AFP

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-06-10

Libya’s army chief of staff resigned on Sunday following violent clashes in the eastern city of Benghazi, in which 31 people were killed. General Yussef al-Mangoush (pictured) had been criticised for delays in forming a national army.

Libya’s army chief of staff resigned on Sunday after clashes in the eastern city of Benghazi the previous day in which 31 people were killed, national assembly sources said.

In a closed-door meeting, Yussef al-Mangoush told the General National Congress, Libya’s highest political body, that he would no longer continue in the job and the assembly accepted the resignation, three members told Reuters.

“Yussef al-Mangoush has told the congress he is no longer willing to continue the journey,” one politician told Reuters in a mobile phone message. Two other sources confirmed the resignation.

The congress picked Mangoush’s deputy, Salem al-Gnaidy, to fill the position until a new army chief is picked, one member said. Speculation has been rife for months about Mangoush’s fate amid an increase in violence.

On Saturday, fighting broke out at the headquarters of the Libya Shield brigade in Benghazi when protesters demanded the disbanding of militias made up of former rebels.

Resentment has been building for months over the myriad militias’ continued existence nearly two years after the fall of Muammar Gaddafi, not least after militiamen laid siege to ministries in Tripoli last month to force their will on the national assembly.

But the central government, whose own forces are too weak to maintain security in a country awash with weapons, has found itself having to co-opt or license some of the most powerful militias to maintain even a semblance of order, while shutting down some others.

Order was only restored in Libya’s second city on Saturday when special forces seized the compound of Libya Shield, which said it was operating with official approval.

Libya Shield is an umbrella group of brigades with bases in Benghazi, cradle of Libya’s 2011 uprising.

Earlier, Ali al-Sheikhi, spokesman for the army chief Of staff, said any decision on disbanding the brigades could only be taken by the national assembly, but that national army colonels had been ordered to take control of these bases in Benghazi. “This is what the people want,” he said.

The planned to seize the bases was confirmed by Abdullah al-Shaafi, spokesman for the government’s Benghazi security operations room, but it was not immediately clear when this would happen or whether the brigades would cooperate.

“What army can take control?” said Ismail Salabi, a Libya Shield commander. “There is no army but Libya Shield.”

Thirty-one people were killed and more than 100 wounded in Saturday’s fighting in Benghazi, a doctor at the city’s al-Jalaa hospital said. A military source said at least five soldiers from the national army were among them.

Anger at the militias surged in Benghazi last September after the killing of the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans in an attack on the U.S. mission there.

A copy of a congress resolution passed on Sunday, seen by Reuters, said the assembly urged the government to take “all necessary steps to stop the presence of unauthorised armed groups”.

It also called for a plan to be issued in two week

(REUTERS)

Date created : 2013-06-09

  • LIBYA

    Libya asks South Africa to help recover Gaddafi riches

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    Sirte and Misrata rebuild in wake of Libya conflict

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    Deadly car bomb hits Libyan city of Benghazi

    Read more

COMMENT(S)