Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

No strategy and a beige suit

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014

Read more

ENCORE!

Alain Choquette: A Hilarious Magician in Paris

Read more

FOCUS

France welcomes Iraqi Christian refugees

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Emmanuel Macron: A new economy minister with a pro-business agenda

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

More of this year's best Observers stories

Read more

#TECH 24

Changing the world, one video game at a time

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Socialist Party summer conference kicks off in explosive atmosphere

Read more

  • Exclusive: Fabius warns of further sanctions against Russia

    Read more

  • Experimental Ebola drug ‘ZMapp’ heals all monkeys in study

    Read more

  • IMF stands behind Lagarde amid French corruption probe

    Read more

  • Ukraine to relaunch NATO membership bid

    Read more

  • Suriname leader’s son pleads guilty to courting Hezbollah

    Read more

  • British killer escapes from French psychiatric hospital

    Read more

  • Chelsea’s Torres set for AC Milan switch

    Read more

  • Police hunt for British boy with brain tumour taken to France

    Read more

  • France shines in IMF list of world’s promising economists

    Read more

  • Mapping Ukraine: Canada and Russia in ‘tweet for tat’ row

    Read more

  • First case of Ebola confirmed in Senegal

    Read more

  • Obama has 'no strategy yet' on potential Syria strikes

    Read more

  • Netflix to woo French with ‘House of Cards’ set in Marseille

    Read more

  • French businesses ‘hoping for a new Thatcher’

    Read more

  • Syrian refugees surpass 3 million, UN says

    Read more

  • West backs Ukrainian claims of Russian incursion

    Read more

  • Libyan PM resigns as Islamists set up rival administration

    Read more

  • UN says 43 peacekeepers captured in Golan Heights

    Read more

  • The deleted tweets of Manuel Valls

    Read more

  • Peru seizes record 6.5 tonnes of Europe-bound cocaine

    Read more

Africa

Libyan soldiers killed in fresh Benghazi clashes

© afp

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-06-15

At least three Libyan troops were killed early on Saturday in clashes with armed protesters in the eastern city of Benghazi, military sources said, hours after demonstrators forced former rebel fighters from their base in the port city.

At least three soldiers were killed as special forces clashed with armed activists in the eastern port city of Benghazi early Saturday, the army reported.

The interim leader of Libya's army warned of the danger of a "bloodbath" as the unrest in the city flared up again a week after clashes there killed more than 30 people.

At around 4:00 am (0200 GMT) heavy gunfire and explosions could be heard near the headquarters of the special forces, not far from the city centre, an AFP journalist and witnesses reported.

The Facebook page of the special forces said its members were exchanging light arms and rocket fire with an "outlaw" group and reported that two of its fighters had been wounded.

Then a little later it posted photos of three of its members and announced that they had been shot dead as they "were defending the legitimacy of the state with courage and honour".

The clashes came just hours after dozens of protesters forced a brigade of former rebel fighters from their base in Benghazi on Friday evening.

The protesters had burned two vehicles belonging to the First Infantry Brigade, before moving on the barracks, said a Libyan army officer.

The brigade was forced to quit its headquarters as the protesters took it over.

A witness on site said the protesters, some of whom were armed, had fired in the air and launched a rocket-propelled grenade at an external wall of the barracks, though nobody was hurt.

The brigade was set up by former rebel fighters who helped overthrow the regime of Moamer Kadhafi in 2011. It says it takes its orders from the defence ministry.

Following that first attack, Salem al-Konidi, the interim head of the army said on the Al-Aseema television channel late Friday: "If the special forces are attacked, there will be a bloodbath...

"There could be a catastrophe in Benghazi."

He said he did not know who had launched the attack or what their motive was, but appealed to the city's elders and dignitaries to act to try to head off the unrest.

Konidi is the interim replacement for General Yusef al-Mangoush, who resigned last Sunday, a day after fighting in Bengazhi killed 31 people and left dozens more wounded.

He had come under mounting criticism for having failed to form a national army in the face of resistance from militias unwilling to surrender their independence.

In last week's violence, armed demonstrators opposed to the city's militias attacked the "Shield of Libya" brigade at its barracks.

The Shield of Libya is mostly made up of rebels who battled dictator Kadhafi in 2011, and it is formally under defence ministry control.

(AFP)

 

Date created : 2013-06-15

  • LIBYA

    Libyan army chief resigns over deadly Benghazi clashes

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    Sirte and Misrata rebuild in wake of Libya conflict

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    Gunmen end siege of Libyan foreign ministry

    Read more

COMMENT(S)