Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola in Nigeria: First death outside of Lagos

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Niger : Top Oppostion figure to be questioned in baby trafficking scandal

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Liberia: President dismisses top officials who ignored call back

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

The deleted tweets of Manuel Valls

Read more

DEBATE

How to Stop Ebola: WHO Says Cases Could Exceed 20,000 (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

How to Stop Ebola: WHO Says Cases Could Exceed 20,000

Read more

WEB NEWS

'Ice Bucket Challenge' angers anti-abortion activists

Read more

#TECH 24

Tomorrow's Transport Today

Read more

FOCUS

Mothers and children leaving Honduras at all costs

Read more

  • French businesses ‘hoping for a new Thatcher’

    Read more

  • UN says 43 peacekeepers captured in Golan Heights

    Read more

  • Peru seizes record 6.5 tonnes of Europe-bound cocaine

    Read more

  • Russian troops have entered Ukraine, says Kiev

    Read more

  • Pakistan army to mediate between PM, protesters

    Read more

  • PSG face Barcelona, Ajax in tough Champions League draw

    Read more

  • In pictures: Billions of locusts invade Madagascan capital

    Read more

  • Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie say ‘I do’ in France

    Read more

  • Erdogan sworn in as Turkey's president

    Read more

  • Assad cannot be partner in fight against terrorism, says Hollande

    Read more

  • New Ebola case in Nigeria brings death toll to 1,552

    Read more

  • Video: 'Neither Baghdad nor the US can defeat the Islamic State'

    Read more

  • Platini will not run against Blatter for FIFA presidency

    Read more

  • Air France pilots announce week-long strike in September

    Read more

  • New French economy minister takes swipe at 35-hour work week

    Read more

  • Uzi shooting by 9-year-old rekindles gun debate

    Read more

  • Mother of American journalist asks IS leader for his release

    Read more

  • UN probe accuses Syrian regime, Islamists of ‘crimes against humanity’

    Read more

  • Uruguayans sign up to grow marijuana at home

    Read more

Europe

Italian court upholds Berlusconi tax fraud conviction

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-06-19

Italy’s constitutional court rejected Silvio Berlusconi’s challenge to a four-year jail sentence and five-year ban from public office on Wednesday. The former PM was convicted in 2012 for tax fraud on TV rights bought by his Mediaset media empire.

Italy’s constitutional court on Wednesday rejected a bid by Silvio Berlusconi to block a tax fraud conviction linked to his Mediaset television empire, clearing the way for a final verdict and deepening uncertainty facing Prime Minister Enrico Letta.

Berlusconi issued a statement immediately after the ruling, saying the decision was contrary to good sense and legal precedent but would not affect his support for Letta’s left-right coalition government.

The 76-year-old media tycoon is not in government but Letta depends on his People of Freedom (PDL) party to survive after deadlocked elections in February that left his own centre-left Democratic Party (PD) short of a viable majority in parliament.

Despite Berlusconi’s assurance of continued support, the ruling is likely to increase tension in the coalition, which is already struggling to contain serious differences over core economic policies.

Ministers from the PDL issued a statement saying they were “shocked, bitter and profoundly worried” at the verdict, which comes ahead of an even more widely anticipated ruling on Monday on charges that Berlusconi paid for sex with a minor.

He has frequently attacked what he calls leftist magistrates who he says want to eliminate him from politics.

There was little immediate reaction from the PD apart from a statement saying the decision should be respected and calling on PDL lawmakers to “lower their tone”.

Berlusconi’s lawyers had challenged a ruling in Milan last year that sentenced him to four years in prison with a five year ban on holding public office after it found him complicit in tax fraud at Mediaset.

They argued the case was flawed because judges had refused to allow a delay on March 1, 2010, for Berlusconi, who was prime minister at the time, to attend a cabinet meeting.

The constitutional court ruled the judges in the original case had been within their rights to reject Berlusconi’s assertion that the cabinet meeting constituted a so-called “legitimate impediment” to the hearing.

It also noted he had been given several opportunities to agree a date and had called the cabinet meeting despite declaring his availability for a hearing on the same day.

Had the constitutional court accepted Berlusconi’s argument, the trial would probably have been restarted and run into the statute of limitations, preventing a verdict ever being reached.

Final verdict

A definitive verdict in the case, in which Berlusconi was accused of inflating the price of broadcasting rights contracts to skim off cash for illegal slush funds, rests on the outcome of a final appeal expected later this year.

But Wednesday’s ruling adds to the picture of political disarray in Italy after the deadlocked election which was marked by public anger at prolonged recession and a stream of scandals.

Lawyers consider that Berlusconi is unlikely to serve any actual jail time, whatever the result of the appeal, but fallout from a final conviction would be unpredictable, and he would not be able to return to government for five years.

Berlusconi’s importance to the centre right was underlined by the result of local elections this month in which the PDL suffered heavy losses that were attributed in large part to his absence from the campaign.

Wednesday’s ruling is only one of a series of potentially explosive cases against Berlusconi on accusations ranging from paying for sex with a minor to bribing political opponents, which could seriously test the stability of the government.

The most serious is the verdict expected on Monday on charges that Berlusconi paid for sex with former nightclub dancer Karima El Mahroug, better known under her stage name “Ruby the Heartstealer”, when she was under 18.

Prosecutors have asked for a six year total jail sentence for that charge and for a related one that he abused the powers of his office to have El Mahroug released from police custody when she was detained in an unrelated theft case.

Berlusconi has denied all the charges and his Mediaset television stations have broadcast detailed reports rebutting the accusations as part of a campaign against the magistrates.

(REUTERS)

Date created : 2013-06-19

  • ITALY

    ‘Ruby’ says she lied in Berlusconi sex case

    Read more

  • ITALY

    Italy prosecutor requests six years in jail for Berlusconi

    Read more

  • ITALY

    Italian court upholds Berlusconi fraud conviction

    Read more

COMMENT(S)