Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

ENCORE!

Could Sean Baker's movie be the best at the fest?

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

A frosty Vatican reception?

Read more

THE DEBATE

We'll always have Cannes: World's most famous film festival turns 70 (part 2)

Read more

THE DEBATE

We'll always have Cannes: World's most famous film festival turns 70 (part 1)

Read more

ENCORE!

Cannes 2017: Sofia Coppola returns with fraught thriller 'The Beguiled'

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Meeting 'cultural activist' and soprano Dima Bawab

Read more

FOCUS

Spain's Doñana National Park is dying of thirst

Read more

THE POLITICAL BRIEF

French labour reform: Macron's first push to fix the economy

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

The perilous journey from Libya to Italy, told by a migrant; and capoeira for former child soldiers in central Africa

Read more

Sports

French cycling hero Jalabert hit by doping charges

© AFP

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2013-06-25

French cycling star Laurent Jalabert was accused late Monday of doping on the 1998 Tour de France by a sports newspaper. The sports star announced Wednesday that he will not work as a TV commentator for the upcoming competition as a result.

Former French cycling pro Laurent Jalabert, who is facing accusations of doping during the 1998 Tour de France, said Tuesday that he was quitting his planned TV and radio consultancy activities during this year’s Tour.

“In order to calmly prepare my defence, I have freely decided to suspend my work as a consultant for different media outlets,” Jalabert said in a statement.

“I have been the target of revelations that as far as I know have been limited to the press, and without any legal basis,” he added.

Jalabert, 44, retired in 2002, but is still considered a major star in his native France, and was expected to offer live commentary of this year’s historic 100th edition of the Tour de France.

He is suspected of using a banned substance known as erythropoietin (EPO) on the Tour in 1998, based on a report by the French sports daily L’Equipe, which cited recently uncovered documents dating from 2004.

The downfall of Lance Armstrong last year rocked the cycling world’s biggest competition, with organisers scrambling to recover ahead of this year’s milestone anniversary.

“I do not want these events to tarnish the 100-year celebrations of the Tour de France, or hurt the image of the people I work with,” Jalabert said.

(FRANCE 24 with wires)

Date created : 2013-06-25

  • CYCLING

    Former Tour de France winner Ullrich admits to doping

    Read more

  • SPAIN

    Five go on trial in Spain for running doping network

    Read more

  • SPORT

    Armstrong admits to doping in Oprah interview

    Read more

COMMENT(S)