Less than a year after he took power as Egypt’s first democratically elected president, Mohammed Morsi was forced out by the army Wednesday night. Follow the day’s events as they unfolded on FRANCE 24's live blog.
• The Egyptian army has ousted President Mohammed Morsi and temporarily suspended the constitution.
• Early elections have been promised under the terms of a transition roadmap.
• Egypt’s top Muslim and Christian clerics, Ahmed al-Tayeb, Grand Sheikh of Al-Azhar, and Coptic Christian Pope Tawadros have backed an army-sponsored roadmap.
• Morsi has urged his supporters to 'peacefully resist the coup'.
• Shortly after the army announcement that Morsi was deposed, massive celebrations broke out in Cairo’s Tahrir Square as demonstrators cheered, lit fireworks and threw confetti amid chants of, "The people and the army are one".
To follow this live blog on your mobile device, click here.
Date created : 2013-07-03