Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Netanyahu deletes tweet featuring photo of James Foley

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Read more

FOCUS

Lifting the veil over China's air pollution

Read more

ENCORE!

Tango Takeover in Paris

Read more

WEB NEWS

Calls for ISIS media blackout after execution of James Foley

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Steely resolve of reporters exploited by pared-down employers'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US judge calls Argentina bond swap offer illegal

Read more

  • ‘European GPS’ satellites launched into wrong orbit

    Read more

  • Merkel in Kiev as aid convoy ‘returns to Russia’

    Read more

  • Suicide bomber targets Iraq intelligence HQ in deadly attack

    Read more

  • Video: Israel bombs kidnapping suspect’s home

    Read more

  • US brands journalist’s beheading a ‘terrorist attack’

    Read more

  • Ebola prompts Philippines to recall UN troops in Liberia

    Read more

  • Besieged by problems, Hollande faces unhappy return from summer holidays

    Read more

  • US sued over ‘deportation mill’ in New Mexico

    Read more

  • Colombian army and FARC rebels in face-to-face talks

    Read more

  • US National Guard starts to pull out of embattled Ferguson

    Read more

  • PSG fall flat once more against Evian

    Read more

  • US job market yet to recover from recession, says Fed Chair

    Read more

  • August 22, 1914: The bloodiest day in French military history

    Read more

  • Central African Republic announces coalition cabinet

    Read more

  • French firebrand leftist to quit party presidency, but not politics

    Read more

  • Fear of Ebola sky-high among Air France workers

    Read more

  • US says Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen'

    Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

Africa

Egypt's interim ruler sets elections within six months

© AFP

Video by Olivia SALAZAR-WINSPEAR , Joseph TANDY

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2013-07-09

In the wake of fresh violence between the army and supporters of ousted president Mohammed Morsi, Egypt’s new interim leader has issued a decree scheduling a parliamentary poll within six months and a presidential vote to follow.

Egypt’s interim head of state has set a speedy timetable for elections, after the military ouster of Islamist President Mohamed Morsi last week sparked a wave of bloody protests.

A decree issued by Adli Mansour, who was picked by the army to succeed Morsi, pointed to a parliamentary ballot within about six months with a presidential vote to follow.

The need for a political breakthrough in the Arab world’s biggest country is pressing.

At least 51 people were killed on Monday when the army opened fire on Morsi supporters camped outside Cairo’s Republican Guard barracks where the deposed leader is believed to be held.

The military said it opened fire in response to an attack by armed assailants.

Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood movement called for more protests on Tuesday, raising the risk of further violence, although an umbrella group representing anti-Morsi protesters said they would not demonstrate.

The bloodshed has shocked Egyptians, already tired of the turbulence that began more than two years ago with the overthrow of autocrat Hosni Mubarak in a popular uprising.

It also raised alarm among key donors like the United States and the European Union, as well as in Israel, with which Egypt has had a peace treaty since 1979.

Millions of people took to the streets on June 30 to demand Morsi’s resignation, fearing he was orchestrating a creeping Islamist takeover of the state - a charge the Brotherhood has vehemently denied.

Shocking scenes

Anti-Morsi protesters, who were performing prayers outside military barracks, and the army give two very different accounts of Monday’s shootings, FRANCE 24’s special correspondent in Egypt, Gallagher Fenwick, explained.

“The Islamists describe a raid by special forces, who used live bullets while protesters had no weapons. Some of the men praying had even come with their wives and babies”, Fenwick said.

But the military explained that the Republican Guard facility came “under attack by armed terrorists”, he added.

Emergency services said 435 people were also wounded in the deadly incident.

At a hospital near Cairo’s Rabaa Adawiya mosque, where many of the wounded and dead were taken, rooms were crammed full, sheets were stained with blood and medics rushed to attend to those hurt.

Video broadcast by Egyptian state TV showed Morsi supporters throwing rocks at soldiers in riot gear on one of the main roads leading to Cairo airport.

Young men, some carrying sticks, crouched behind a building, emerging to throw petrol bombs before retreating again.

The graphic scenes came just three days after Cairo, Alexandria and other cities and towns were rocked by running street battles between Morsi’s supporters and opponents, which went on for hours despite a heavy military presence.

Leader targets early elections

Mansour decreed that Egypt will hold new parliamentary elections once amendments to its suspended constitution are approved in a referendum - a process that could take about six months, less than some people had expected.

In what appeared to be an olive branch to Islamists, the decree included controversial language put into the constitution last year that defined the principles of Islamic sharia law.

The Brotherhood movement has refused to have anything to do with the process, and thousands of supporters have camped out in northeast Cairo for the last five days and vowed not to budge until Morsi returns as president - a seemingly vain hope.

The events have worried Western allies. The United Nations said it was “gravely concerned” about mounting violence in Egypt and said the country was on a “precarious path.”

“The Secretary-General condemns these killings and calls for them to be thoroughly investigated by independent and competent national bodies,” it said in a statement.

The United States, still refraining from calling the military intervention a “coup” - a label that would trigger legal obstacles to continuing aid payments - called on Egypt’s army to exercise “maximum restraint.”

But White House spokesman Jay Carney said an immediate cut-off in military aid to Egypt "would not be in our best interests", when asked whether Washington was reconsidering the more than $1 billion--mostly military aid--it provides annually.

The Egyptian military has insisted that the overthrow was not a coup and that it was enforcing the “will of the people” after millions took to the streets on June 30 to call for Morsi’s resignation.

(FRANCE 24 with wires)

Date created : 2013-07-09

  • EGYPT

    Muslim Brotherhood calls for protests after Cairo killings

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    Morsi supporters killed at dawn rally in Cairo

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    Egyptian Islamists ‘pull out’ of government talks

    Read more

COMMENT(S)