Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

PERSPECTIVE

'Macron sees high earners as key to getting the French economy moving again'

Read more

IN THE PRESS

'Shut Up and Drive': Saudi's paradoxical stance after female activists arrested

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

$2.3bn for two million songs: Sony buys majority stake in EMI

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Burundi approves new constitution allowing president to extend time in power

Read more

THE DEBATE

Populist takeover: Italy approves unprecedented coalition

Read more

FOCUS

Young Nicaraguans lead protests against President Ortega

Read more

ENCORE!

Music show: Opera singer Lawrence Brownlee, Snow Patrol & Natalie Prass

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

EU Commissioner Johannes Hahn: 'Either we export stability, or we import instability'

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

From Italy to Cyprus via Hungary: A look back at key events in Europe

Read more

Americas

Canada train derailment toll climbs

© AFP

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-07-10

The number of people believed to be dead or missing after a runaway freight train carrying oil derailed in Quebec has risen to 60, Canadian police said on Wednesday, in what is believed to be the country's worst train disaster in recent history.

The number of dead or missing after the runaway oil tanker train disaster in a small Canadian town has risen to 60, police announced Wednesday, as the railway chairman headed to the scene.

The confirmed death toll remained at 15, Quebec provincial police inspector Michel Forget told a press conference. The coroner said remains were still being identified.

Ten more people were however added to a growing list of missing or presumed dead in Lac-Megantic, scene of the worst train accident in recent Canadian history.

Part of Lac-Megantic was flattened in an inferno caused by the crash Saturday, as a wall of fire tore through homes and businesses in the town, located east of Montreal near the US border.

The blaze forced about 2,000 residents to flee their homes in the town, which is home to 6,000 people. Most of them started returning on Tuesday.

The freight train operated by Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway had been stopped for a crew change in the nearby town of Nantes when it began to roll downhill without a conductor towards Lac-Megantic

It derailed at a curve in the tracks and several cars exploded.

MMA chairman Edward Burkhardt has blamed firefighters in Nantes for the disaster, saying they unwittingly unlocked the train's brakes when they shut down the locomotive's engines to douse a small fire.

Burkhardt is likely to face angry residents and questions from police probing for criminal negligence when he arrives in Lac-Megantic to survey the devastation.

(AFP)

Date created : 2013-07-10

  • CANADA

    Canada police mull criminal charges in train disaster

    Read more

  • CANADA

    Investigators stumped on Quebec train explosion

    Read more

  • CANADA

    Quebec town devastated in deadly train explosion

    Read more

COMMENT(S)