Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Nigeria marks 500 days since kidnap of Chibok schoolgirls

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

From Sarkozy to Kim Kardashian: posed celebrity photos

Read more

THE DEBATE

The ‘You Stink’ Movement: Lebanon garbage crisis sparks new wave of protests (part 2)

Read more

THE DEBATE

The ‘You Stink’ Movement: Lebanon garbage crisis sparks new wave of protests (part 1)

Read more

FOCUS

Scandals tarnish reputation of India's pharmaceutical industry

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Ten years after Katrina, New Orleans is bustling

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Shock and horror after two journalists shot dead on-air

Read more

ENCORE!

Has New Orleans got its groove back?

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Could this lunatic make it to the White House?'

Read more

Europe

UN judges reinstate Karadzic genocide charge

© AFP

Video by Catherine NORRIS TRENT , Oliver FARRY

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-07-11

A genocide charge against former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic was reinstated by appeals judges at a war crimes court in The Hague on Thursday, in connection with a campaign of mistreating and killing non-Serbs at the start of the 1992 war.

Bosnian Serb wartime leader Radovan Karadzic must stand trial on two counts of genocide, appeals judges at a war crimes court in The Hague said on Thursday, reinstating one count that had been struck down.

The ruling means Karadzic must now face charges of masterminding the genocide of Bosnian Croats and Muslims across the territory of multi-ethnic Bosnia during a 1992-1995 war that cost 100,000 lives, in addition to a charge related to the Srebrenica massacre.

Judges found that there was enough evidence to suggest Karadzic - who was arrested on a Belgrade bus in 2008 after 11 years on the run - might have had “genocidal intent” with respect to crimes committed in Bosnia, meaning a full trial of the facts was warranted.

“The Appeals Chamber observes that the record includes evidence of genocidal and other culpable acts committed against Bosnian Muslims and Bosnian Croats,” said Theodor Meron, president of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.

The genocide charge relating to the massacre of 8,000 Muslims near the town of Srebrenica, Europe’s worst massacre since World War Two, still stands.

(REUTERS)

Date created : 2013-07-11

  • THE HAGUE

    I did 'everything’ to avoid war, Karadzic tells UN court

    Read more

  • WAR CRIMES

    Karadzic opens defence in Hague war crimes trial

    Read more

  • JUSTICE

    Mladic war crimes trial suspended again

    Read more

COMMENT(S)