The two French journalists who went missing in Syria in June are alive, France's minister of defence said Sunday. Europe 1 radio correspondent Didier François and freelance photographer Edouard Elias are thought to have been abducted near Aleppo.
The two French journalists who went missing in Syria in early June are alive, France's Minister of Defence Jean-Yves Le Drian told several French media organisations on Sunday.
Europe 1 radio correspondent Didier François, 53, and freelance photographer Edouard Elias, 22, first went missing near the northern Syrian city of Aleppo in early June after they were reportedly abducted by four men, along with their fixer and driver.
“We have certain pieces information that lead us to believe [that they are alive]” France’s minister of defence said during a joint interview with Europe 1 radio, i>TELE TV station and newspaper Le Parisien.
“We are doing everything possible to ensure that they are freed soon”, he added.
News of the two men’s disappearance was confirmed on June 7th by the French presidency, with François Hollande demanding their immediate release.
While the details surrounding their kidnapping remain murky, the president's office said it believed the journalists had been intercepted at a checkpoint.
After a month with no public information regarding the men’s whereabouts, Europe 1 has unveiled the creation of a “support committee,” headed up by prominent French journalist Florence Aubenas, to help secure their release.
(FRANCE 24 with wires)
Date created : 2013-07-14