Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

IN THE PAPERS

2014-07-22 07:21 IN THE FRENCH PRESS

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Is there such a thing as "telegenic" victims of war?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Michel Sidibé, UNAIDS Executive Director

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Dalia Grybauskaite, President of the Republic of Lithuania

Read more

WEB NEWS

Online scammers exploit MH17 crash

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Too many graphic images from Gaza ?

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Gaza: online reactions

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Rise of the Robots

Read more

FOCUS

Overfishing and the global appetite for bluefin tuna: can Tokyo turn the tide?

Read more

  • Hollande says French warship delivery will ‘depend on Russia’s attitude’

    Read more

  • Israeli soldier missing in Gaza, say media reports

    Read more

  • Ukraine rebels release bodies, black boxes from flight MH17

    Read more

  • A call for harmony in riot-hit ‘Little Jerusalem’ Paris suburb

    Read more

  • Widodo poised to become Indonesian president

    Read more

  • An ‘explosion of violence’: French press reacts to Gaza protests

    Read more

  • Notorious ‘VIP’ prison in Paris closed for renovations

    Read more

  • Christians in Iraq's Mosul face execution or exodus

    Read more

  • Scores killed as Libyan militias fight over airport

    Read more

  • Ukraine football players refuse to return home after friendly in France

    Read more

  • China steps up communist education to guard against ‘moral decline’

    Read more

  • French rugby stars attacked with machetes and swords

    Read more

  • Hollande announces new military operation in West Africa

    Read more

  • Kristoff wins Tour’s flat Stage 15

    Read more

Africa

Scores killed in brutal ethnic clashes in Guinea

© Photo: AFP

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2013-07-18

The bodies of 54 people burned alive or hacked to death in ethnic clashes in the west African state of Guinea Conakry were identified on Wednesday, as the army deployed troops to the area amid fears that the death count would rise steeply.

Officials said Wednesday that clashes in south-eastern Guinea Conakry have killed 54 people and injured scores more, and warned the death toll could be higher.

The country’s second-largest city, Nzerekore, and the surrounding forest region near the border with Ivory Coast have been gripped by clashes between rival communities after petrol station guards from the Guerze tribe in the town of Koule beat to death an ethnic Konianke youth they had accused of stealing.

Witnesses said some victims of the ensuing clashes had been beheaded with machetes.

Noumandjan Camara, a hospital employee in Nzerekore, said he counted 54 bodies. Jean-Marie Doré, a former prime minister who is from the region, confirmed the same number.

Authorities had initially put the death toll at 16 but the figure began to rise sharply as bodies were collected from the streets. Both Camara and Doré noted that 54 only counts those bodies that had been taken to the hospital.

Dozens arrested

Authorities sent troops to affected towns on Wednesday in a bid to stem the violence. Residents said security forces arrived in Nzerekore and the nearby towns of Beyla and Koule, where the initial killing took place.

Government spokesman Damantang Albert Camara said calm had been restored and about 50 people arrested. He said some 130 people had been injured in the clashes as well as the recorded fatalities.

The fighting broke out shortly after Guinea’s rival political parties agreed to hold legislative elections on September 24 after months of deadlock and street protests, which often degenerated into ethnic clashes.

The September poll is meant to be the final step towards the return to civilian rule after a 2008 coup.

President Alpha Condé came to power in the 2010 presidential election but his rivals accuse him of attempted vote-rigging. Condé draws support from Guinea’s second-largest ethnic group, the Malinke, while the opposition is backed by the Peul, who account for around 40% of the population.

Mineral-rich, Guinea is the world’s largest bauxite exporter, and mining firms have signed multi-billion dollar deals in a bid to secure untapped mineral riches, especially iron ore.

Political instability, however, has led to some investments being frozen.

(FRANCE 24 with wires)

Date created : 2013-07-18

  • GUINEA CONAKRY

    Clashes continue in Guinea despite calls for calm

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    Guinea elections to be held in December

    Read more

  • GUINEA CONAKRY

    Village witch-hunt triggers deadly violence

    Read more

COMMENT(S)