Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

BUSINESS DAILY

Puerto Rico set for biggest default yet

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

South African court rules Jacob Zuma should face corruption charges

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

A Royal Challenge from the Obamas

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Lights go out in Venezuela and Saudi Arabia goes green (part 1)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Stalemate in Spain and Protests in Paris (part 2)

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Cinema, a French love affair

Read more

#TECH 24

'VR' immersive journalism

Read more

REVISITED

Nepal revisited, one year after the deadly earthquake

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

France's River Charente, a rich ecosystem

Read more

Europe

Train crash driver refuses to answer police questioning

© AFP

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-07-26

Francisco Jose Garzon Amo, 52, the driver of the train that crashed in Spain on Wednesday night killing 78 people, has refused to answer police questioning, police said Friday. The train was said to be travelling over twice its normal speed.

The driver of a speeding train that crashed in northwestern Spain on Wednesday night, killing 78 people, has refused to respond to police questioning on Friday, a police spokesman told AFP.

“The driver has refused to answer the police authorities,” said the spokesman, adding that the case will now “proceed to a judicial process as soon as possible.”

Francisco Jose Garzon Amo, 52, who has remained in hospital under police supervision since the crash, was formally detained by police on Thursday night accused of criminal recklessness, according to the head of the Galician police service Jaime Iglesias.

The train was said to have been travelling at more than twice the 80 kilometres per hour speed limit when it came off the rails four kilometres from the city’s main station and slammed into a concrete wall on the side of the track.

Amo, while still trapped in his cab, reportedly told railway officials by radio that the train had been travelling at 190 kilometres (118 miles) per hour.

“I was going at 190! I hope no one died because it will weigh on my conscience,” he was quoted as saying by Spanish newspaper El Pais.

On top of the 78 confirmed deaths, 81 people remain in hospital with 31 in a serious condition.

The disaster is the worst railway accident to have taken place in Spain since 1944.

(AFP)

Date created : 2013-07-26

  • SPAIN

    Train crash driver formally detained, Spanish police say

    Read more

  • SPAIN

    Europe’s deadliest train crashes

    Read more

  • SPAIN

    In Pictures: Train derails in northwestern Spain

    Read more

COMMENT(S)