Many people are hoping and praying that Mali's presidential elections will be the start of a new era, a time of peace and prosperity. In the past 18 months Mali has seen a military coup, an Islamist incursion take over the north of the country, and then a military intervention led by France. The French hailed Sunday's election as a success, even before the result is confirmed. Mark Owen and his panel discuss where Mali should go from here.
- Abdoulaye MAIGA, Malian Engineering student, native of Gao;
- Eduardo CUE, France 24 International Affairs Editor;
- Hawa DEME, President of the Malian students and interns association;
- Akli SH'KKA, Spokesperson, MNLA (National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad);
- Dr. Cristina BARRIOS, Senior Analyst, European Union Institute for Security Studies.
Watch the second part
Programme prepared and produced by David Boratav, Mary Colombel and Christopher Davis