Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

IN THE PAPERS

The Socialist rebellion grows

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Can Weibo win over US investors?

Read more

DEBATE

Algeria: What's the Choice? Incumbent Bouteflika Votes in Wheelchair (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Algeria: What's the Choice? Incumbent Bouteflika Votes in Wheelchair

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Virunga Park chief shot

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Algerian election: Bouteflika votes in wheelchair

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Algeria's media: a mixture of censorship and free speech

Read more

WEB NEWS

Nigerian web users call for end to violence

Read more

FOCUS

Bitcoin in the US: A monetary revolution?

Read more

  • Captain not at helm when ship listed, South Korean officials say

    Read more

  • Nobel-winning Colombian writer Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87

    Read more

  • With a strong French presence, veterans and fresh faces, Cannes aims to please

    Read more

  • Low turnout reported in Algeria as Bouteflika seeks fourth term

    Read more

  • Astronomers discover Earth-like planet that could support life

    Read more

  • Russia and West agree on steps to ease Ukraine crisis

    Read more

  • Mob launches deadly attack on UN shelter for S. Sudan civilians

    Read more

  • Eurostar train mishap causes 'severe' delays

    Read more

  • Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant

    Read more

  • French troops free five aid workers kidnapped in Mali by Islamists

    Read more

  • In pictures: Iranian woman pardons son’s killer at the gallows

    Read more

  • After cup defeat, Spanish pundits read last rites for Barcelona

    Read more

  • India heads to polls in single largest day of voting

    Read more

  • Ukraine talks open in Geneva as Putin talks tough on TV

    Read more

  • Pro-Russian separatists killed in attack on Black Sea base

    Read more

  • Man executed in Texas for 2002 triple murder

    Read more

  • Scandal-hit French doctor Jacques Servier dies at 92

    Read more

  • Belgian head of wildlife reserve shot in DR Congo

    Read more

  • Crunch talks on Ukraine begin in Geneva

    Read more

  • Stagehand of God? Maradona's legendary goal inspires a play

    Read more

  • US rolls out red carpet for French critic of capitalism

    Read more

  • N. Korea not amused by London hair salon's Kim Jong-un ad

    Read more

  • Real Madrid beat old foes Barcelona to lift Copa del Rey

    Read more

  • France's new PM targets welfare in drive to cut spending

    Read more

  • Campaigning against Bouteflika's re-election... in France

    Read more

Middle east

Yemen says it foiled al Qaeda terror plot

©

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-08-07

Yemen said on Wednesday that it thwarted an al Qaeda terror plot to storm a port, an oil and gas plant and seize a provincial capital. The attack was planned for Monday. An earlier terror alert has kept US Middle East missions closed.

Yemen said Wednesday it had foiled an al Qaeda plot to storm a Western-run oil terminal and seize a provincial capital, as a terror alert kept US Middle East missions closed.

The jihadist network’s feared Yemeni affiliate planned to assault the Canadian-run Mina al-Dhaba oil terminal on the Arabian Sea coast and take staff hostage, including Western expatriates, government spokesman Rajeh Badi told AFP.

A nearby export facility for oil derivatives was targeted too, Badi said.

Al Qaeda also plotted to seize the nearby Hadramawt provincial capital Al-Mukalla, a port city of some 100,000 people, and the Ghayl Bawazeer area to its north, where they briefly declared an Islamic emirate earlier this year, Badi said.

“If they were to fail in seizing control of the facilities, the plan was to take foreign experts away as hostages,” he said.

The attack was planned for Monday, which coincided with the 27th day of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan and was the second day of a mass closure of US missions across the Middle East and North Africa.

The plot was foiled around two days before it was due to be launched, Badi said.

Both Washington and London pulled diplomatic personnel out of Sanaa on Tuesday citing intelligence reports of an imminent attack by the Yemen-based al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).

The United States took the unusual step of closing some 25 diplomatic missions in the Muslim world on Sunday, and then extending the closure for a week at 19 of them, in response to what it said was a credible and imminent threat of a major al Qaeda attack.

An intercepted conference call between al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri and top operatives was the trigger for the closures, online journal The Daily Beast reported on Wednesday, citing US intelligence sources.

It said more than 20 al Qaeda operatives from across the globe were on the call, including representatives of Nigeria’s Boko Haram, the Pakistani Taliban and al Qaeda in Iraq as well as AQAP.

In the call, Zawahiri reportedly named AQAP chief Nasser al-Wuhayshi, as the operational controller of the group’s affiliates throughout the Muslim world.

“This was like a meeting of the Legion of Doom,” the Daily Beast quoted a US intelligence officer as saying.

While the closures span cities across the Arab world, the focus of concern has been Yemen, where Washington has been fighting a drone war against AQAP militants for several years.

Tribal sources said a US drone killed seven suspected jihadists in Shabwa province, to the west of Hadramawt, on Wednesday, the second such strike in as many days.

The early-morning attack in the town of Nasab destroyed two vehicles, the sources said.

It was the fifth US drone strike in Yemen since July 28. At least 24 suspected al Qaeda militants have been killed.

On August 1, President Barack Obama hosted his Yemeni counterpart Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi for White House talks on their joint struggle against the jihadists.

AQAP is seen as the global Islamist militant network’s most capable franchise following the decimation of al Qaeda’s core leadership in Afghanistan and Pakistan in recent years.

Washington has launched scores of drone strikes in Yemen, where AQAP thrives in vast, lawless areas largely outside the government’s control.

In recent days, Yemeni authorities beefed up security in Sanaa, where they feared the attack would be launched.

But they responded angrily to the withdrawal of Western diplomats. They said they recognised the safety fears but that the pullout “serves the interests of the extremists.”

“It undermines the exceptional cooperation between Yemen and the international alliance against terrorism,” the foreign ministry said.

The Yemen-based AQAP has attempted several attacks on the United States, including a failed bid to bring down a passenger plane by a man wearing explosives in his underwear and another to send bombs concealed in printer cartridges.

The intent of the foiled plot on oil facilities appears to have been similar to a spectacular January attack by Islamist militants on a gas plant deep in the Algerian desert.

Thirty-eight hostages, all but one of them foreigners, lost their lives, along with 29 militants, in the four-day siege at the In Amenas plant, which was ended by the Algerian army.

(AFP)

Date created : 2013-08-07

  • TERRORISM

    Qaeda chief’s message to Yemen branch sparked alert

    Read more

  • TERRORISM

    Al Qaeda confirms death of deputy chief in Yemen

    Read more

  • YEMEN

    Crowd storms US embassy in Yemeni capital Sanaa

    Read more

Comments

COMMENT(S)