Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Provocative sculpture 'unplugged'

Read more

ENCORE!

Encore's Film Show: Brad Pitt's 'Fury' and Woody Allen's Magic

Read more

FACE-OFF

François Hollande: The mid-term blues

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

French papers pay tribute to Christophe de Margerie

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Anti-IS group fighters: When foreigners join the fight against jihadists

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Pistorius and the lone walk to prison

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Armed clowns terrify the north of France

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Central African Republic: Stability still a struggle ahead of 2015 elections

Read more

DEBATE

Oscar Pistorius sentenced: Does the punishment fit the crime? (part 2)

Read more

Middle east

Palestinians slam latest Jewish settlement plan

© AFP

Video by Catherine Clifford

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-08-11

The Israeli government’s approval of some 1,200 Jewish settlement homes in occupied areas showed the country was “not serious” in efforts to negotiate peace, the Palestinians said on Sunday, only days before fresh talks are set to take place.

The Palestinians said Israel's new plans for settlement construction announced Sunday showed it was "not serious" in efforts to negotiate peace and urged Washington to intervene as sponsor of the talks.

The Israeli government approved late Sunday the release of 26 veteran Palestinian prisoners, an official statement said, ahead of renewed peace talks between the sides set for later this week.

"Following the government decision to renew peace talks with the Palestinians and appoint a ministerial committee to free prisoners during negotiations... the committee approved the release of 26 prisoners," a statement from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office read.

(AFP)

The tenders for over 1,000 homes in the occupied West Bank and annexed east Jerusalem were proof that Israel "was not serious in the negotiations," Palestinian negotiator Mohammed Shtayeh said in a statement.

He charged that Israel "aims through this condensed settlement activity to destroy the basis of the solution called for by the international community, which aims to establish a Palestinian state on the 1967 borders."

Shtayeh said the new tenders were "conditions and new facts on the ground" that Israel was setting in order "to determine the negotiations in whichever way suits it best."

The Palestinian negotiator called for Washington, sponsoring the talks, to take "a firm and clear position to rein in this Israeli attack on the West Bank and especially Jerusalem."

Israel's housing ministry said earlier it would be publishing tenders for 793 units in east Jerusalem and 394 elsewhere in the West Bank.

The US State Department said last week that Israeli and Palestinian negotiators would resume talks in Jerusalem on Wednesday on ending their decades-old conflict.

They resumed direct negotiations in Washington last month, ending a three-year hiatus after painstaking US mediation. The last talks in 2010 broke down over the issue of settlement building.

(AFP)

Date created : 2013-08-11

  • ISRAELI

    Israel approves new Jewish settlement homes

    Read more

  • ISRAELI-PALESTINIAN CONFLICT

    Israeli-Palestinian peace talks to resume next week

    Read more

  • ISRAELI - PALESTINIAN CONFLICT

    Netanyahu urges approval of Palestinian prisoner release

    Read more

COMMENT(S)