Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Media response to Ottawa shooting

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

"Canada's Coverage of the Ottawa Shootings Put American Cable News to Shame"

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Manuel Valls and the "art of putting one’s foot in one’s mouth"

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Daniele Balice, Co-founder of the gallery Balice Hertling

Read more

FOCUS

Tunisia: Religious education claims bigger role in curriculum

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Budget tensions heat up in Brussels as EU leaders meet for second day

Read more

DEBATE

Canada's jihadists: Country in shock after spate of attacks (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Canada's jihadists: Country in shock after spate of attacks

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Burkina Faso: Government seeks referendum

Read more

Africa

Egypt in state of emergency after day of bloodshed

© AFP

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2013-08-15

The death toll from a government assault on pro-Morsi camps in Cairo on Wednesday climbed to 421, health officials said Thursday, as a state of emergency was declared in most of the country.

At least 421 people were killed in Egypt on Wednesday as security forces raided two protest camps organized by supporters of ousted president Mohammed Morsi, triggering a wave of violence across the country.

Health officials said 421 people had been killed, including 43 policemen. More than 2,000 people were also injured in one of the bloodiest days in Egypt’s recent history.

The police and army struggled for over 10 hours to completely clear the Cairo encampments, where members of Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood had entrenched themselves for weeks demanding his return to power.

Most of the casualties were in the Egyptian capital, but at least 15 people were killed in the Suez Canal city of Ismailia Dead in Suez, while ten others died in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria, according to medical sources.

Two journalists, including a cameraman working for SkyNews who was at one of the two Cairo camps, were also among the victims, their employers said.

Meanwhile, seven Coptic churches were burned in apparent retaliation for the assault on the Muslim Brotherhood.

The ruling army also declared a one-month state of emergency and imposed a nighttime curfew that started at 9pm local time.

Speaking in a televised speech Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim said no sit-ins would be tolerated in the future and praised police for exercising “self-restraint”.

Widespread international condemnation

Vice President Mohamed ElBaradei, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, resigned in protest over the assaults, saying violence could have been avoided.

"I cannot take responsibility before God, my conscience and country for a single drop of blood, especially because I know it was possible to spare it,” he said.

The deadly crackdown sparked widespread condemnation by the international community.

US Secretary of State John Kerry strongly condemned the violence, saying it had dealt a “serious blow” to political reconciliation efforts between the military-backed interim government and Morsi supporters.

However, the US State Department signaled no change in its generous aid programme to the country.

Turkey and Iran called the crackdown a “massacre” of peaceful protesters.

The Muslim Brotherhood has reportedly called on supporters to protest across the country in response to today's assault.

Find out how the day's events unfolded on our live blog.

Date created : 2013-08-14

  • EGYPT

    Wednesday's bloodshed as it happened

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    State of emergency declared as Egypt erupts in unrest

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    Morsi supporters clash with pro-government factions

    Read more

COMMENT(S)