Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

France: 2014 in review

Read more

#THE 51%

South Africa: Taking a stand against child marriage

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book (part 2)

Read more

REPORTERS

France 24’s best documentaries of 2014

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'We have to build a new Tunisia', says the president of the Tunisian Parliament

Read more

FACE-OFF

France on alert after attacks: a case of collective hysteria?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'Beijing needs to revaluate its policy in the Tibetan areas', says FM of the Tibetan government-in-exile

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Uruguay: freed Guantanamo detainees try to adjust to normal life

Read more

Asia-pacific

Four bodies found in sunken India submarine

© AFP

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-08-16

The Indian navy on Friday retrieved four badly burned bodies following the explosion of one of its submarines in Mumbai, adding that it was unlikely that any of the other 14 missing crewmen would be found alive.

Indian navy divers on Friday recovered four severely burned bodies of sailors who had been trapped inside a submarine damaged by twin explosions, officials said. The navy said it was doubtful that any of the other 14 sailors aboard survived.

Naval spokesman Narendra Vispute told reporters that the condition of the bodies suggested that all 18 sailors aboard were killed in the explosions in the sub’s home port of Mumbai. Three bodies were recovered Friday morning and a fourth was located later in the afternoon, a naval official said on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak to reporters.

“The bodies are severely disfigured and not identifiable due to severe burns,” Vispute said, adding that DNA tests would be used to identify the bodies. “However, the navy will continue to search every inch of the submarine until no bodies remain to be found.

The 16-year-old diesel-powered, Russian-made submarine, INS Sindhurakshak, was rocked by two explosions in the torpedo compartment that sent huge fireballs into the air. The vessel was partially submerged at Mumbai’s naval dock, with a portion visible above the waterline.

Reaching sailors trapped in the crippled, water-filled vessel was made all the more difficult because the heat of the blast melted some hatch doors shut. The navy said there has been no contact from any of the sailors - not even a knock on the hull - since the accident occurred.

A press statement from the navy Friday said that while divers had been working around the clock to reach the compartments of the submarine since the explosions occurred, search efforts were hindered by the “oily and muddy waters inside the submerged submarine resulting in total darkness and nil visibility within the submarine even with high power underwater lamps.”

Twisted metal restricted space in the interior and resulted in search and rescue efforts being “very slow and labored,” allowing only one diver clear access at a time, the statement added.

The same submarine was hit by an explosion in 2010 that killed one sailor and injured two others. The navy said that accident was caused by a faulty battery valve that leaked hydrogen, causing an explosion in the vessel’s battery compartment. There have been no details on what caused this week’s blasts.

The sub recently returned from Russia after a 2½-year refit, overhaul and upgrade and had been certified for use by the Indian navy.

Russian ship repair company Zvyozdochka said the blasts were unrelated to its repair work.

(AP)

Date created : 2013-08-16

  • INDIA

    Sailors feared dead after submarine sinks in Mumbai

    Read more

  • RUSSIA

    Russian nuclear submarine blaze brought under control

    Read more

  • ARGENTINA - UK

    Argentina, UK spar over nuclear submarine claims

    Read more

COMMENT(S)