Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

A landslide victory for the 'invisible candidate' in Algeria's Presidential polls

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 18 April 2014

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 18 April 2014 (part 2)

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Presidential adviser resigns over "shoe-shine scandal"

Read more

#THE 51%

Breaking stereotypes

Read more

#TECH 24

Galaxy S5 v. HTC One (M8): Which is the right one for you?

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

New PM Manuel Valls outlines priorities

Read more

FASHION

Jean-Marc Loubier, bags and shoes.

Read more

ENCORE!

Hip-hop musician Beat Assailant on mixing the sounds of the city

Read more

  • French journalist tells of release from captivity in Syria

    Read more

  • Le Pen’s National Front fail to woo Britain’s Eurosceptics

    Read more

  • South Korea ferry captain defends decision to delay evacuation

    Read more

  • In pictures: French kite festival takes flight

    Read more

  • Scores killed in South Sudan cattle raid

    Read more

  • VIDEO: Anti-Semitic leaflets in Eastern Ukraine condemned

    Read more

  • In pictures: Good Friday celebrated across the globe

    Read more

  • Bouteflika, the ghost president

    Read more

  • Does Valls’ upcoming Vatican trip violate French secularism?

    Read more

  • Ukraine separatists say ‘not bound’ by Geneva deal

    Read more

  • Abel Ferrara’s hotly awaited DSK film to premiere on web

    Read more

  • Obama signs bill to block controversial Iran diplomat from UN post

    Read more

  • Ukraine: ‘One bloody incident could scupper Geneva deal’

    Read more

  • Astronomers discover Earth-like planet that could support life

    Read more

  • Indian election: Votes for sale

    Read more

  • World honours Garcia Marquez’s magical literary legacy

    Read more

  • In pictures: Iranian woman pardons son’s killer at the gallows

    Read more

  • Algeria's ailing Bouteflika clinches fourth term amid fraud claims

    Read more

  • Top Hollande adviser resigns over conflict of interest accusation

    Read more

  • West African Ebola outbreak caused by new strain of virus

    Read more

  • Stagehand of God? Maradona's legendary goal inspires a play

    Read more

France

French ‘Playboy’ reborn for the ‘heterosexual bastard’

©

Text by Tony Todd

Latest update : 2013-09-05

“Lui”, a French men’s magazine which has a similar format to Playboy, has returned to newsstands after a 19-year hiatus. Its publisher said the relaunch celebrated the “forgotten dinosaur called ‘the bloke’.”

France’s answer to Playboy “Lui” [Him] returned to French newsstands Thursday after a 19-year hiatus. The magazine’s relaunch carried features on politics and culture, a lot of advertising and a generous smattering of naked French actresses in soft porn poses.

Friday’s edition features cover-girl Léa Seydoux, star of the Palme d’Or winning “Blue is the Warmest Colour” (La vie d’Adèle for French audiences) who’s also worked with Woody Allen and Quentin Tarantino.

A dozen arty yet blatantly titillating pictures accompany an in-depth interview with the 28-year-old starlet.

The old “Lui”, which was famous for its front covers featuring barely-clad beauties, reached its zenith in the 1980s and was finally closed down in 1994 after being a men’s favourite for 30 years.

Women readers?

The relaunch of “Lui”, with a circulation of 350,000 – including an extra 15,000 with an English-language supplement for overseas consumption – marks the return of a legendary lost title that has re-branded itself to accommodate women readers too, according to its editor.

“It’s a magazine that is quite clearly aimed at heterosexual men,” Yseult Williams, editor-in-chief and founder of Women’s magazine Grazia told reporters at the magazine’s launch event.

“But this is a magazine for men who like women, even if I’m convinced that many women will buy it to learn about the ‘enemy’. We’re expecting 70% of readers will be men, and the other 30% women,” she added.

Publisher Frédéric Beigbeder, in his editorial celebrating the resurrection of a lost title, was jubilant about the return of a formerly “macho” title in an age when the lines between the working and social lives of men and women had blurred.

“It feels like a lap of honour for that forgotten dinosaur called the ‘bloke’, the man who went out to pick up women, the man who is best termed the ‘heterosexual bastard’,” he said.

Date created : 2013-09-05

  • FRANCE

    Red faces after AFP kills 'unflattering' Hollande pic

    Read more

  • VENICE FILM FESTIVAL

    Venice takes off with 'Gravity' and gay romance

    Read more

  • FRENCH CINEMA - INTERVIEW

    ‘Porn shouldn’t have a monopoly on sex’

    Read more

Comments

COMMENT(S)