The main opposition Syrian National Coalition named a moderate Islamist, Ahmad Toameh, as interim prime minister on Saturday and tasked him with forming a government to administer the regions of Syria that are under rebel control.
Syria's opposition National Coalition on Saturday named a moderate Islamist as its interim prime minister, in a key step towards forming a government.
Ahmad Toameh, elected during an opposition meeting in Istanbul, replaces Ghassan Hitto who resigned in July after just four months in the post without managing to form an opposition cabinet from among the fractious group.
Toameh, a 48-year-old dentist by training, now faces the arduous task of cobbling together a government to govern the regions in Syria under rebel control.
F24 INTERVIEW: BAN KI-MOON
He vowed to form a cabinet that will work on the ground alongside rebels fighting the regime of President Bashar al-Assad, including to organise the distribution of humanitarian aid in the war-torn country where more than 110,000 people have been killed and millions displaced since the start of the crisis in March 2011.
He vowed that "a new republic will be established in Syria... It will be a humane republic, where there will be no room for killers and criminals... no room for any denial of civil rights".
He received 75 votes, with 10 voting against him and 12 representatives filing blank ballots.
The National Coalition has been led since early July by Ahmad al-Jarba, a tribal chief and veteran dissident who fled abroad in August 2012 after being released from a second stint in the regime's jails.
- US-backed forces celebrate victory over IS group in Syria’s Raqqa
- US-backed Syrian forces liberate Raqqa from Islamic State group
- Lebanese leaders divided over fate of Syrian refugees
- Israeli military strikes Syrian anti-aircraft battery it says fired at jets
- IS group faces imminent defeat in Raqqa
- Call for French ex-minister Fabius to face questions in Lafarge-IS probe
- Turkish army sets up posts in Syria's rebel-held Idlib province
- Syria’s World Cup dreams dashed after loss to Australia
- Video: Turkish troops begin operation in Idlib province in Syria
- Turkish troops, Syrian jihadists exchange fire on border
- Syrian forces enter one of Islamic State group's last strongholds
- France hands 'Mama Jihad' the maximum sentence for role in terrorist conspiracy
- French soldier killed in Iraq-Syria military zone, Élysée Palace says
- Hezbollah, Syrian army seek new route for stranded IS group convoy
- US-led coalition strikes at IS group fighters being evacuated from Lebanon
- Syrian refugees ‘living in fear in Egypt’
- ‘Little doubt’ Assad is to blame for sarin attack
- Hollande refuses to rule out Syria 'military option'
- Syria hails chemical weapons deal as a ‘victory’
- Opposition Syrian National Coalition names new PM
Date created : 2013-09-15