Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Rwandan singer amongst terror plot suspects

Read more

DEBATE

What's Putin's Plan? Kiev Accuses Russia of Terrorism

Read more

FOCUS

Campaigning against Bouteflika's re-election... in France

Read more

WEB NEWS

Chile: Online mobilization to help Valparaiso fire victims

Read more

ENCORE!

Art, sex, money, memory and manga

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Spat over Iran's UN ambassador hampers thawing relations with US

Read more

FOCUS

China trade deal: Is Taiwan's identity under threat?

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Call it a caretaker government'

Read more

DEBATE

Nigeria's Battles

Read more

  • Frantic search for South Korea ferry passengers continues

    Read more

  • Kiev powerless as pro-Russia activists seize armoured vehicles

    Read more

  • Algeria heads to the polls: ‘this election has nothing to do with us’

    Read more

  • Scandal-hit French doctor Jacques Servier dies

    Read more

  • N. Korea not amused by London hair salon's Kim Jong-un ad

    Read more

  • US rolls out red carpet for French critic of capitalism

    Read more

  • Real Madrid beat old foes Barcelona to lift Copa del Rey

    Read more

  • Belgian head of wildlife reserve shot in eastern Congo

    Read more

  • France's new PM targets welfare in drive to cut spending

    Read more

  • Campaigning against Bouteflika's re-election... in France

    Read more

  • Brazil club Mineiro cancel Anelka signing after no-show

    Read more

  • Syria 'torture' photos silence UN Security Council members

    Read more

  • Paris laboratory loses deadly SARS virus samples

    Read more

  • More than 100 schoolgirls kidnapped in northeast Nigeria

    Read more

  • New York police disband unit targeting Muslims

    Read more

  • 'Miracle girl' healthy after seven-organ transplant in Paris

    Read more

  • Paris police memo calling for Roma eviction ‘rectified’

    Read more

  • Burgundy digs into France's bureaucratic 'mille-feuille'

    Read more

  • French court drops ‘hate speech’ case against Bob Dylan

    Read more

  • Algeria rights crackdown slammed ahead of election

    Read more

  • Iraq closes notorious Abu Ghraib jail over security fears

    Read more

  • In ‘Tom at the Farm’, Xavier Dolan blends Hitchcock and homoeroticism

    Read more

Africa

South African police 'lied' over fatal shooting of miners

©

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-09-19

The South African commission in charge of an inquiry into the fatal shooting of 34 striking miners at Marikana last year said Thursday that police had falsified documents and lied about the incident. Police say they were acting in self-defence.

A South African commission of inquiry said on Thursday that the police lied about the shooting dead of 34 striking miners at Marikana last year, in a searing criticism of police conduct.

"We have obtained documents which in our opinion demonstrate that the (police) version of the events at Marikana... is in material respects not the truth," the commission said after gaining access to police hard drives.

Police say they were acting in self defence.

The commission also accused police of falsifying documents, hiding documents, lying about the existence of other documents and giving a false account of events.

"We have obtained documents which give the impression that they are contemporaneous documents, but which appear in fact to have been constructed after the events to which they refer," the commission said.

"Absent a convincing explanation, the material which we have found has serious consequences for the further conduct of the work of this commission," it added.

A spokesman for the police ministry declined to comment.

"It's before a commission of inquiry, that is sub judice," Zweli Mnisi told AFP.

The damning statement against the police is unusual, since the commission has not yet wrapped up its work.

"We do not make this statement lightly," it said.

The commission said it will adjourn until next Wednesday to enable investigators to trawl through the "thousands of pages".

It took note the police members had handed over the information willingly.

Inquiry spokesman Tshepo Mahlangu told AFP the allegations "have not been tested as yet by the commission."

"The judge clarified the matter to say that these are not findings of the commission, it is evidence of some wrong-doing that the investigators have come across."

President Jacob Zuma appointed the commission to investigate the police killing of 34 striking miners on August 16 last year at a mine run by platinum giant Lonmin.

In the run-up to the deaths, at least 10 other people -- including two police officers -- were killed during the highly charged strike.

But controversy has plagued the body from the start.

No relatives of the dead were present at the opening and it had to adjourn until the government transported family from far-flung rural areas to attend.

Its initial four-month mandate had to be extended twice and the new information may have jeopardised a new October deadline.

Last Thursday hundreds marched to the seat of government in Pretoria demanding the state pay legal fees for about 270 injured or arrested miners appearing at the inquiry.

Critics said the commission's findings would be biased if the survivors could not have lawyers.

The government has blocked efforts to pay the counsel, who worked for free for months but withdrew pending a court bid.

The Commission of Inquiry's chairman, retired judge Ian Farlam, ruled the hearings will continue, arguing that the absence of the miners would not hurt the proceedings.

Its statement Thursday bodes ill for the beleaguered police force, which has limped from one scandal to another.

A string of witnesses and police officers have appeared before the commission, including national police commissioner Riah Phiyega, with most offering only circumscribed accounts of events.

She remained evasive and deflected questions under cross-examination at the commission, but denied having ordered the killings and said they had acted in self-defence.

No officer has been charged for the deaths, and only North West province Deputy Police Commissioner William Mpembe has taken direct responsibility for police actions.

In June Mpembe said he was responsible for the decision to initiate "phase three" of police operations, to disperse striking Lonmin platinum miners.

That August 16 decision led to police opening fire on miners, images that shocked television viewers around the world and plunged South Africa into crisis.

The deaths sparked violent industry-wide strikes that lasted months in a radical shake-up of labour relations on the continent's largest economy.

(AFP)

 

Date created : 2013-09-19

  • SOUTH AFRICA

    South African miners strike deal with Lonmin bosses

    Read more

  • SOUTH AFRICA

    S. African miners charged with murder of colleagues

    Read more

  • SOUTH AFRICA

    Funerals held for gunned-down South African miners

    Read more

Comments

COMMENT(S)