Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

BUSINESS DAILY

Market sell-off resumes as bank shares plunge

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

US presidential race: Outsiders sweep to victory in New Hampshire

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

South Carolina primary looks to be 'bare knuckle brawl'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

First hurdle cleared in bid to amend French constitution

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

'Sombre but sober' atmosphere at mining conference as profits sink

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

US accuses Kigali of 'destabilizing activities' in Burundi

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Bernie Sanders fires up the grass roots

Read more

THE DEBATE

Rage against the machine: Trump and Sanders win big in New Hampshire primary (part 2)

Read more

THE DEBATE

Rage against the machine: Trump and Sanders win big in New Hampshire primary (part 1)

Read more

Africa

Ivory Coast refuses to send former first lady to ICC

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-09-20

Ivory Coast on Friday decided not to transfer former first lady Simone Gbagbo to the International Criminal Court in The Hague, which issued a warrant against her last year for alleged crimes against humanity.

Ivory Coast will try former first lady Simone Gbagbo, who is being sought by the International Criminal Court for alleged crimes against humanity, in a domestic court, the government said following a special cabinet meeting on Friday.

Former President Laurent Gbagbo, whose refusal to accept defeat in a late 2010 presidential runoff triggered a brief war, is currently in The Hague awaiting trial for crimes committed during the post-election crisis.

The government declined to transfer Simone Gbagbo to the court when the ICC indictment, which alleged she was “criminally responsible for murder, rape, other forms of sexual violence, other inhumane acts, and persecution”, was unsealed last November.

“This decision by the cabinet aims to judge Madame Gbagbo in Ivory Coast under Ivorian jurisdiction, which is today rehabilitated and able to offer her a fair and balanced trial,” a statement read by government spokesman Bruno Kone said.

“The government will shortly introduce its request to the registrar of the International Criminal Court,” he added.

Simone Gbagbo was arrested along with her husband in April 2011 as fighting came to an end and has since been held under house arrest in the northwestern city of Odienne. She is accused by Ivorian authorities of crimes including genocide.

(REUTERS)

Date created : 2013-09-20

  • IVORY COAST

    Ivorian ex-leader Gbagbo defends his record at ICC

    Read more

  • THE HAGUE

    Gbagbo faces ICC over Ivorian election violence

    Read more

  • GHANA - IVORY COAST

    Ghana extradites former Gbagbo military commander

    Read more

COMMENT(S)