At least 39 people remain missing after a four-day siege last week on the Westgate mall in Nairobi by al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab militants, the Red Cross said on Monday. Sixty-seven people are known to have died in the attack.
At least 39 people are still missing after last week's brutal assault on Nairobi's Westgate mall by Islamist gunmen, the Red Cross said Monday.
The four-day bloodbath at the upmarket shopping mall, which Kenyan forces brought to an end on Tuesday, left at least 67 people dead.
The 39 still missing was reduced from 61, after bodies were either identified, or those reported to have been missing were found to have not been at the mall.
Kenyan and foreign investigators continued to comb the carcass of the Westgate mall for clues on the perpetrators of the raid and ensuing siege.
Part of the rooftop parking of the mall collapsed after heavy explosions and a fierce fire, leaving the key area where the insurgents are understood to have made their final stand -- along with possible hostages -- buried under charred tonnes of concrete.
"Government agencies have been conducting forensic and criminal investigations, in addition, bomb experts continued with clearing the building to ensure safe access," the statement read.
"Heavy mechanical equipment began to move the rubble of the collapsed building ahead of the search for bodies."
The raid was claimed by the Shebab, an Al-Qaeda linked Somali group which has vowed more attacks if Kenya does not pull its troops out of Somalia.
TERRORISM IN THE HORN OF AFRICA
- Interpol issues 'White Widow' alert at Kenya's request
- Tough questions for Kenyan authorities after mall siege
- Grief, generosity as Kenya starts mourning mall victims
- French mother, daughter 'executed' at Nairobi mall
- In pictures: Islamists storm Nairobi mall
- Al Shabaab Somali militants claim Nairobi mall attack
- US-born jihadist reported killed in Somalia
- Syrian rebels capture villages in pro-Assad bastion
- Amazon founder to buy Washington Post for $250m
- US senators arrive in Egypt for fresh diplomatic push
- French summer drowning death toll nears 100
- Spain arrests paedophile freed by Morocco
- Mandela threatened over 'unpaid' utilities bill
- Report exposes decades of West German doping
- Muslim veil ban urged in French universities
- France, US top al Qaeda's list of Western targets
- Second jewel theft strikes Cannes Film Festival
Lawmakers from the parliament's defence and foreign relations committee, visited the mall on Monday afternoon.
Their visit comes ahead of their quizzing of Kenyan security chiefs over the handling of the deadly raid, which was initially planned to happen Monday, but is now expected to take place on Tuesday.
Also on Monday, a British man was released without charge after he was arrested in Nairobi following the attack, British sources said.
Eight suspects are currently held in connection with the raid, one of the worst attacks in Kenya's history.
In Pictures: Attack on Nairobi's Westgate mall
© All pictures are FRANCE 24 screen grabs
Date created : 2013-09-30