Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Netanyahu deletes tweet featuring photo of James Foley

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Read more

FOCUS

Lifting the veil over China's air pollution

Read more

ENCORE!

Tango Takeover in Paris

Read more

WEB NEWS

Calls for ISIS media blackout after execution of James Foley

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Steely resolve of reporters exploited by pared-down employers'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US judge calls Argentina bond swap offer illegal

Read more

  • ‘European GPS’ satellites launched into wrong orbit

    Read more

  • Merkel in Kiev as aid convoy ‘returns to Russia’

    Read more

  • Suicide bomber targets Iraq intelligence HQ in deadly attack

    Read more

  • Video: Israel bombs kidnapping suspect’s home

    Read more

  • US brands journalist’s beheading a ‘terrorist attack’

    Read more

  • Ebola prompts Philippines to recall UN troops in Liberia

    Read more

  • Besieged by problems, Hollande faces unhappy return from summer holidays

    Read more

  • US sued over ‘deportation mill’ in New Mexico

    Read more

  • Colombian army and FARC rebels begin work on ceasefire

    Read more

  • US National Guard starts to pull out of embattled Ferguson

    Read more

  • PSG fall flat once more against Evian

    Read more

  • US job market yet to recover from recession, says Fed Chair

    Read more

  • August 22, 1914: The bloodiest day in French military history

    Read more

  • Central African Republic announces coalition cabinet

    Read more

  • French firebrand leftist to quit party presidency, but not politics

    Read more

  • Fear of Ebola sky-high among Air France workers

    Read more

  • US says Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen'

    Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

Africa

Red Cross says 39 still missing after Nairobi mall attack

© afp

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-09-30

At least 39 people remain missing after a four-day siege last week on the Westgate mall in Nairobi by al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab militants, the Red Cross said on Monday. Sixty-seven people are known to have died in the attack.

At least 39 people are still missing after last week's brutal assault on Nairobi's Westgate mall by Islamist gunmen, the Red Cross said Monday.

The four-day bloodbath at the upmarket shopping mall, which Kenyan forces brought to an end on Tuesday, left at least 67 people dead.

The 39 still missing was reduced from 61, after bodies were either identified, or those reported to have been missing were found to have not been at the mall.

Kenyan and foreign investigators continued to comb the carcass of the Westgate mall for clues on the perpetrators of the raid and ensuing siege.

Part of the rooftop parking of the mall collapsed after heavy explosions and a fierce fire, leaving the key area where the insurgents are understood to have made their final stand -- along with possible hostages -- buried under charred tonnes of concrete.

"Government agencies have been conducting forensic and criminal investigations, in addition, bomb experts continued with clearing the building to ensure safe access," the statement read.

"Heavy mechanical equipment began to move the rubble of the collapsed building ahead of the search for bodies."

The raid was claimed by the Shebab, an Al-Qaeda linked Somali group which has vowed more attacks if Kenya does not pull its troops out of Somalia.

Lawmakers from the parliament's defence and foreign relations committee, visited the mall on Monday afternoon.

Their visit comes ahead of their quizzing of Kenyan security chiefs over the handling of the deadly raid, which was initially planned to happen Monday, but is now expected to take place on Tuesday.

Also on Monday, a British man was released without charge after he was arrested in Nairobi following the attack, British sources said.

Eight suspects are currently held in connection with the raid, one of the worst attacks in Kenya's history.

(AFP)

 

Date created : 2013-09-30

  • KENYA

    Kenyan government ‘warned of Nairobi attack’

    Read more

  • KENYA

    Interpol issues 'White Widow' alert at Kenya's request

    Read more

  • KENYA

    Tough questions for Kenyan authorities after mall siege

    Read more

COMMENT(S)