Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Netanyahu deletes tweet featuring photo of James Foley

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Read more

FOCUS

Lifting the veil over China's air pollution

Read more

ENCORE!

Tango Takeover in Paris

Read more

WEB NEWS

Calls for ISIS media blackout after execution of James Foley

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Steely resolve of reporters exploited by pared-down employers'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US judge calls Argentina bond swap offer illegal

Read more

  • Europe launches navigation satellites to rival GPS

    Read more

  • Besieged by problems, Hollande faces unhappy return from summer holidays

    Read more

  • Iraqi Sunnis quit govt talks after mosque massacre

    Read more

  • US demands Russia withdraw aid convoy from Ukraine

    Read more

  • PSG fall flat once more against Evian

    Read more

  • Fed Chair says US job market still hampered by Great Recession

    Read more

  • August 22, 1914: The bloodiest day in French military history

    Read more

  • Central African Republic announces coalition cabinet

    Read more

  • Hamas publicly executes "informers"

    Read more

  • French firebrand leftist to quit party presidency, but not politics

    Read more

  • Fear of Ebola sky-high among Air France workers

    Read more

  • US says Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen'

    Read more

  • Malaysia mourns as remains of MH17 victims arrive home

    Read more

  • Turkish Foreign Minister Davutoglu set to be Erdogan's new PM

    Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

Europe

Italy to step up migrant patrols in Mediterranean

© AFP

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-10-14

Italy will increase patrols in the Mediterranean following the two recent disasters in which hundreds of migrants died while attempting to reach Europe by boat. Prime Minister Enrico Letta said an “air and naval package” would be implemented.

Italy is to step up naval and air patrols in the southern Mediterranean to try to prevent repeats of the shipwrecks which have drowned hundreds of African migrants in two separate disasters in little more than a week.

Prime Minister Enrico Letta said late on Saturday an “air and naval package” would be put in place south of Sicily, where tens of thousands of migrants in flimsy, overcrowded boats have made the crossing from Africa so far this year.

At least 34 people drowned on Friday when their boat overturned, according to the Italian navy, but with many unaccounted for, the true total could be as high as 200 or more.

In a separate shipwreck on Oct. 3, more than 350 died.

Survivors of Friday’s wreck reported their vessel had been fired on as they left Libya, said Barbara Molinario, spokeswoman for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.

“Survivors told us that shots were fired at the boat as it took to the sea,” she said. “Three people were wounded and the boat was damaged in such a way that it took on water.”

She said the survivors said the shots were fired by “Libyans” but it was not possible to identify them more closely.

Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan denied Libyan forces were involved but promised to investigate.

The incident underlined the chaotic conditions in Libya, the departure point for many migrant boats. The central government is struggling to impose its authority on armed militia groups.

Italian officials have been increasingly worried by the uncontrolled surge in arrivals from a region also destabilised by civil war in Syria and unrest in Egypt and elsewhere.

“We intend to triple our presence, in terms of both men and means in the southern Mediterranean, for a military-humanitarian mission that has been made necessary in part by the fact that Libya is currently a ‘non-state’,” Defence Minister Mario Mauro told the Catholic daily Avvenire. “We need strong action to stop these shipwrecks out to sea.”

He said operational and financial details of the deployment were being worked out and could involve more patrol vessels or more powerful ships with greater surveillance capacity. Italian media reported that unmanned drone aircraft based in Sicily could also be used to identify boats in trouble.

In addition to coastguard and frontier police vessels, the Italian navy currently has three vessels supported by four helicopters patrolling the area, and two surveillance aircraft with night vision capabilities in support.

Sea 'cemetery'

Italy and Malta, points of arrival for most of the migrants from North Africa, have asked for more funds from the European Union and called for the migrant emergency to be put on the agenda of the next European Council meeting on Oct. 24-25.

“The fact is that as things stand, we are just building a cemetery within our Mediterranean Sea,” Malta’s Prime Minister Joseph Muscat said in an interview with the BBC.

Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan backed calls for more action from Europe following a meeting with Muscat in Tripoli on Sunday, but the Maltese prime minister said no real progress would be made until order was restored along the African coast.
“To have a permanent solution or at least a better way of dealing with the issue of illegal emigration, there needs to be stability in Libya,” he said.

Italian and Maltese vessels recovered 34 bodies and picked up 206 survivors on Friday after their boat capsized.

But according to survivors’ estimates gathered by United Nations officials, the boat had been carrying as many as 350-450 people, meaning the real death toll could be over 200. “At this stage it’s impossible to say for certain,” Molinario said.

The incident came just over a week after more than 350 Eritreans and Somalis drowned off the island of Lampedusa.

On Sunday, Italian vessels rescued about 400 people from a struggling boat around 60 miles (100 km) south of Lampedusa while another boat carrying around 100 was picked up by Maltese rescuers, an Italian coastguard official said.

U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said the international community had to address the root causes of the crisis.

The deaths have set off a fierce political debate in Italy over tough rules intended to combat clandestine immigration which make it an offence to offer help to illegal migrant boats.

Letta said on Saturday he favoured changing the law but he faces stiff opposition from centre-right partners in his left-right coalition government who insist the law should stay.

Instability in North Africa and the Middle East has removed many controls which used to prevent boats setting out, and Europe has struggled to come up with a comprehensive response.

European Home Affairs Commissioner Cecilia Malstrom has called this week for Europe’s frontier agency Frontex to be strengthened to be able to deploy search and rescue operations.

(REUTERS)

Date created : 2013-10-14

  • ITALY

    Dozens dead as migrant boat capsizes off Sicily

    Read more

  • ITALY

    EU chief pledges refugee aid after Lampedusa tragedy

    Read more

  • ITALY

    Lampedusa boat survivors ‘swam for hours’

    Read more

COMMENT(S)