Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Netanyahu deletes tweet featuring photo of James Foley

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 22 August 2014

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Read more

FOCUS

Lifting the veil over China's air pollution

Read more

ENCORE!

Tango Takeover in Paris

Read more

WEB NEWS

Calls for ISIS media blackout after execution of James Foley

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Steely resolve of reporters exploited by pared-down employers'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US judge calls Argentina bond swap offer illegal

Read more

  • Merkel in Kiev amid Russian aid convoy ‘escalation’

    Read more

  • US brands journalist’s beheading a ‘terrorist attack’

    Read more

  • Europe launches navigation satellites to rival GPS

    Read more

  • Philippines to repatriate UN troops in Liberia over Ebola fears

    Read more

  • Besieged by problems, Hollande faces unhappy return from summer holidays

    Read more

  • Rights group sues US government over ‘deportation mill’

    Read more

  • Colombian army and FARC rebels begin work on ceasefire

    Read more

  • US National Guard starts to pull out of embattled Missouri town

    Read more

  • PSG fall flat once more against Evian

    Read more

  • Fed Chair says US job market still hampered by Great Recession

    Read more

  • August 22, 1914: The bloodiest day in French military history

    Read more

  • Central African Republic announces coalition cabinet

    Read more

  • Hamas publicly executes "informers"

    Read more

  • French firebrand leftist to quit party presidency, but not politics

    Read more

  • Fear of Ebola sky-high among Air France workers

    Read more

  • US says Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen'

    Read more

  • Malaysia mourns as remains of MH17 victims arrive home

    Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

Europe

Nazi war criminal’s body moved to military airport

© AFP

Video by FRANCE 24

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2013-10-16

The body of convicted Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke was moved to a military airport near Italy’s capital Rome on Wednesday one day after his funeral was halted due to angry protests.

The body of convicted Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke lay at a military airport near Rome and its final destination remained unclear on Wednesday, a day after rival groups of protesters forced a suspension of his funeral.

Priebke, a former German SS officer, died aged 100 last week in Rome, where he had been serving a life sentence under house arrest for his role in the killing of 335 civilians in 1944 in caves near the capital, one of Italy’s worst wartime massacres.

Priebke never apologised for his wartime actions.

The mayor of Rome, Ignazio Marino, said Italian authorities may now seek help from the German government.

“I know that people are considering what decisions to take and I don’t rule out contacts between our government and the government of Germany,” he told state television RAI.

Marino said the body had been brought to the military airport at Pratica di Mare from the town of Albano Laziale, where clashes between angry residents and neo-Nazi visitors prevented the funeral going ahead on Tuesday.

A fringe right-wing group, the Catholic Society of St Pius (SSPX), had organised the funeral despite local protests. The arch-traditionalist SSPX is at odds with mainstream Catholic teaching and has strained relations with the Vatican.

Rome daily Il Messaggero quoted Priebke’s lawyer Paolo Giachini as saying he had ordered the suspension of the funeral after the neo-Nazis attempted to join the service in defiance of an agreement that the ceremony would be private.

Priebke was in charge of SS troops in March 1944 who executed civilians in the Ardeatine Caves in retaliation for the killings of 33 German soldiers by a partisan group.

Adolf Hitler had ordered German occupation forces to respond by executing 10 Italians for every German killed. The victims were rounded up from jails, streets and homes.

Priebke was deported from Argentina to Italy after he was interviewed on U.S. television and admitted his role in the massacre, which he said had been conducted against “terrorists”.

He was sentenced to life imprisonment in Italy in 1998.

(REUTERS)

Date created : 2013-10-16

  • ITALY

    Protests halt funeral of Nazi war criminal in Italy

    Read more

  • OBITUARY

    Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke dies at 100

    Read more

COMMENT(S)